1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1992 possible pcm problem??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 09:24 PM
littleBlue52
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 possible pcm problem??

I recently purchased a 1992 Dakota 5.2 came with a cold air kit, lowered, pillar gauge set up, chrome rt wheels,Gibson headers. I noticed a bunch of new things on the engine also. either the intake has been cleaned painted and put back on or its a new intake. new coil, new cam sensor, crank sensor, plugs, wires, and dist. cab. also an orange wire has been spliced into the fuel pump from the bottom of the fuse/relay box under the hood. all the relays were missing so I picked up a few from a local junkyard and tried to start it. it started for about 2secs then cut off. tried again and it just kept cranking but wouldn't start. I sprayed a little starter fluid in it and about 10 tries later it ran for another 2 secs. now its been a few days and nothing but the engine turning over and killing my batteries. looks as if the wire harness has been replaced, zip ties everywhere. maybe my PCM is shot. I have no fuel pressure, a low voltage reading at the coil + and not getting a ground to - side.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Think I would start by looking for a stock wiring harness to clean up, and install. Otherwise, you are going to have a nightmare tracing any electrical gremlins in the future.....

The following users liked this post:
littleBlue52 (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 09:22 AM
littleBlue52
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM problem

Turns out all the splices were ok. I did redo them and cleaned up a few grounds. But my problem turned out to be a bad PCM

Quick Reply: 1992 possible pcm problem??