1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

upper and lower radiator hoses both hot

Old 05-13-2019, 02:02 PM
yermyjermy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upper and lower radiator hoses both hot

temp gauge is showing at 1/4, between cold and warm, even on long drives. I'm going to test and/or replace the temp sensor. However, I've noticed both hoses are extremely hot. Is that how its supposed to be?

Old 05-13-2019, 03:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Lower hose should be cooler than the upper hose. Is there a thermostat in the truck?

Old 05-13-2019, 04:00 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

those gauges aren't the most accurate. of my 2 Dakotas one never goes past about 1/3 gauge when fully warmed up, other one goes straight up at 1/2..... same T stat brand and temp in both, both have had the radiators replaced in my ownership with water pumps and ALL hoses and both have had their heater cores swapped out within 2 weeks of each other.....
I want to add a set of Sunpro style gauges to my trucks while keeping the stock gauges operable.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:14 AM
WolfStar
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yermyjermy
temp gauge is showing at 1/4, between cold and warm, even on long drives. I'm going to test and/or replace the temp sensor. However, I've noticed both hoses are extremely hot. Is that how its supposed to be?
Did someone put in a 180 deg thermostat in the truck? It's a fairly common mod and if you have that you'll see the temp gauge lower than normal - about 1/4.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: upper and lower radiator hoses both hot