1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Buying a long block 3.9L, what’s the difference between the manual and automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 09:11 PM
MBrownfield
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a long block 3.9L, what’s the difference between the manual and automatic?

Online it shows an $800 difference between the engine for an automatic transmission and manual transmission. Is there a difference in the block or bell housings?

Old 08-08-2019, 09:18 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by MBrownfield
Online it shows an $800 difference between the engine for an automatic transmission and manual transmission. Is there a difference in the block or bell housings?

Usually the crankshaft. The manual will have a hole for the pilot shaft. Back in the 60's and 70's, they all had the spot for the plot shaft but now a days, so few automatics are bought by dealers, it's a lot of extra machining to do a manual crank shaft.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:13 PM
MBrownfield

So the only difference is a pilot bearing?

Old 08-09-2019, 09:04 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

So the only difference is a pilot bearing?

Keep in mind I raced in the 70's and ran a salvage yard in the 80's. I can't think of any reason other than that but I've been out of both for decades so I may be wrong. A long time ago, it USED to be a manual transmission engine had a place for the pilot bearing for the pilot shaft. You could use a manual engine on anything but an automatic engine ONLY with an automatic.

The following users liked this post:
MBrownfield (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 11:08 AM
MBrownfield

That makes sense, I was just thrown off when one website says there’s auto and manual engine, but another says there’s an auto engine that you have to buy a pilot bearing for if you have a manual transmission.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

That makes sense, I was just thrown off when one website says there’s auto and manual engine, but another says there’s an auto engine that you have to buy a pilot bearing for if you have a manual transmission.
Things likely changed over the years..... On the GM v-8s, ALL of the crankshafts were drilled for pilot bushing/bearings, so it simply didn't matter which one you got. (which actually makes more sense to me...... only need to have one part number....)

The following users liked this post:
MBrownfield (08-10-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 02:17 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

When crate engines first started coming out, they were all drilled. On the production line, it was an extra step to machine the pilot hole. Maybe 50 cents. Multiply that by 250,000, you're talking $125,000 extra cost. It's like the Pinto of the early 70's missing a $1 rubber part that let them explode when rear ended.

Quick Reply: Buying a long block 3.9L, what’s the difference between the manual and automatic?