1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1996 V8 4x4 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 08:59 PM
buick
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Finally got back to working on a Dakota... And ofc I snap the lower shock bolt clean off. Everything fighting me this time around, but after a few days of keeping at it, I've got a lot done. New shocks all around, new ni-cop brake lines from brake booster to all four corners, new brake hoses, all new drums/shoes/cylinders/hardware, new calipers (painted red so it stops faster), ball joints upper and lower both sides, wheel hub bearings and another 1/2" lift in the rear while doing new u-bolts. Also sprayed the entire thing down three times with rust converter in my fluid film gun, allowing it to cure between coats. Just need to spray it down with fluid film and I'm hoping it's good for a while lol

The following users liked this post:
RalphP (08-18-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 07:00 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Suspension work, brake lines, are always fun on a older vehicle!! Could you tell me more about the fluid gun? BTW, while I agree, the red calipers stop quicker, I find the yellow calipers works best for autocross in a dakota!

The following 2 users liked this post by 93 ragtop:
buick (08-20-2020), tndakman (08-20-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 11:20 AM
buick
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Suspension work, brake lines, are always fun on a older vehicle!! Could you tell me more about the fluid gun? BTW, while I agree, the red calipers stop quicker, I find the yellow calipers works best for autocross in a dakota!

So these are my undercoating guns. The black one was a bit more expensive and is a little better built. The silver one I just got as an extra because I needed more bottles.

You can spray some pretty thick stuff with them, the fluid film stuff is not really even liquid, more like Jell-O. I start by thoroughly wire wheeling all the loose stuff off. Then 2-3 coats of rust converter (letting it cure between coats), then 2-3 coats satin black Rust-Oleum, then 2-3 coats of fluid film (I mix it 80/20 FF/used diesel motor oil. It's cheaper and the dark black oil makes the metal look like new).

The fluid film will wash off inside a year, so I make sure to reapply heavily before winter driving.

Quick Reply: 1996 V8 4x4 Build Thread