1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New to me

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 09:12 PM
Dearolddadsgarageexperiment
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New to me

I was given a 89 dakota. It has a few problems, the brake light andabs light is on and the maintenance soon is on as well. It has a 4cylinder 5 speed manual and it runs ok but it is tired and the charging rate is only 13 volts or so at idle. The front end is a little loose as well but it was free, yeah.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:32 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Step 0 - Pick up a copy of the 1989 Dakota Factory Service Manual (hint: Is it a Chilton Dakota or a Haynes Dakota? No?) from eBay used paper when available, or from Bishko Books ( http://www.autobooksbishko.com/ ) on disc or paper. (Disc is about $40 thereabouts).

Maint Soon - you might as well remove the bulb. By 1989, it was in the ECU; so it takes a DRB or equivalent tool to reset. Now, you might be able to pick up a MT-2500 with the right adapter and cartridges, but I would not hold my breath on that. It only means it's about time to service the EGR system.

Brake and ABS both on usually means it's a different cluster in the 1989, I believe. The 89 SHOULD be with the rear load sensitive proportioning valve; but since I don't have a 89, or the FSM for one, I could be wrong on that.

If it DOES have ABS (RWAL most likely!), then I'll say that you probably need to do a complete brake job - full hydraulics in back, reman'ed calipers up front, new drums and rotors. You may also have a bad rear axle sensor if it DOES have ABS.

Plan on doing that front suspension soonest! It'll be hard enough if the ball joints are factory; they just get stuck harder and harder as the years go by.

I'd recommend ACDelco Professional Grade, Mopar, or ProForged (what I'm running now for a test). Moog might still be good; biggest thing is, if there's two part numbers, DON'T BUY THE CHEAP ONE. Moog also has "Barely Good Enough" parts in their cheap family.

Don't forget shocks around; I like KYBs, am running Rancho's and don't think they're as good as KYBs are. Or don't last any time, take your pick.

And above all else ... PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!

RwP

Quick Reply: New to me