1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Torque Wrench School

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 11:33 AM
buick
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
There's a heavy German presence around here. My first job that paid me to work on vehicles, rather than fixing my own junk, was on Amish buggies. A small local community had an arrangement to swap out deep cycle batteries for the lights and 8 track players on the buggies that the young Amish drove during their Rumspringa (SP?)

I remember when I had to get a torque angle gauge for torque to yield head bolts. That seriously messed with my head.
I had to check your profile to see if we're neighbors, I'm in Lancaster and we also have heavy Amish/PA Dutch influence here.

Originally Posted by bronze
My $10 Harbor Freight torque wrench turned into an adventure but it ended well...fortunately.
IME the harbor freight torque wrenches are okay at best, decent for the price. I got a couple Tekton brand torque wrenches and I must say I like them a lot better than the Pittsburgh/HF stuff (and I'm usually a big HF supporter). They just feel smoother to adjust and I'm more confident in them holding calibration. They're not dirt cheap like HF, but they're not crazy expensive either.

Old 06-23-2020, 02:20 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 425 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by buick
I had to check your profile to see if we're neighbors, I'm in Lancaster and we also have heavy Amish/PA Dutch influence here.

IME the harbor freight torque wrenches are okay at best, decent for the price. I got a couple Tekton brand torque wrenches and I must say I like them a lot better than the Pittsburgh/HF stuff (and I'm usually a big HF supporter). They just feel smoother to adjust and I'm more confident in them holding calibration. They're not dirt cheap like HF, but they're not crazy expensive either.
There is nothing that screams quality when holding that Pitt torque wrench. But at $10 I didn't expect it to. But it got the job done and I'm grateful Ralph linked me up. Who knows if/when I'll use it again. I did play around with the Icon brand when I was at HF. Now those are pretty good quality tools. Not the cheap crap HF is famous for. These are higher end tools that cost more but still about half the prices of Snap On. You can actually be proud of owning Icons.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:28 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by buick
I had to check your profile to see if we're neighbors, I'm in Lancaster and we also have heavy Amish/PA Dutch influence here..

I had the Amish build my new garage about 15 years ago. When they pile out of that truck, they are working. 1/2 a crew of Amish and 1/2 English. We also have Strassenfests here and one major bank is German American. I'm bummed because the Germainia Mannchor cancled their summer beer garden because of Covid.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:48 PM
crazyjerry
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats terrible if its really a accuraracy deviation of 12% but for $10 its all you could expect. i use torq wrenches a fair bit and just picked up a couple stahlwille. frankly theyre the ferrari of torq wrenches if you ask me and well worth the money if your using them often. before i bought anything from harbor freight i would of checked ebay for their used stuff

Old 06-26-2020, 06:27 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyjerry
thats terrible if its really a accuraracy deviation of 12% but for $10 its all you could expect. i use torq wrenches a fair bit and just picked up a couple stahlwille. frankly theyre the ferrari of torq wrenches if you ask me and well worth the money if your using them often. before i bought anything from harbor freight i would of checked ebay for their used stuff

Yard sales (Pre-Covid) are good places to look too. I got a pristine Snap On inch pound torque wrench a few years back. Like new and works great. While I sometimes go with "Gudentite" on foot pounds torqing, I use the inch pound religiously. I really don't want to crush things too tight. Usually, inch pound is also expensive.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:14 PM
crazyjerry
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yard sale, pawn shop, local classified, ebay. all those places have used top qaulity tools for reduced prices. ebay is my favorite place. bought a ton of tools there and once in a while i get lucky and find new old stock tools that are heavily discounted. honestly theres almost no reason to bother with harbor freight. sk makes some damn good hand tools and they just had a 30% off everything sale so i picked up a few things

Quick Reply: Torque Wrench School