1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 Dakota passenger door won’t open

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 05:47 PM
aaopilot1
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 95 Dakota passenger door won’t open

Hello everyone! This is my first Dodge and im trying to get it back to functional. Unfortunately I don’t know most of the history of the vehicle but I bought it with the passenger door not opening. I pulled the panel off and made sure the rods were intact and they were. I was able to see the inner latch pieces weren’t really moving well so I sprayed it all down with pb blaster and got it moving some. As far as I can tell with my limited knowledge it’s fully releasing but the door still won’t budge. Does anyone have some good suggestions?

Old 09-04-2020, 05:54 PM
aaopilot1

Here is a little video I took of the pieces I can see moving. Not sure if this helps

Old 09-04-2020, 08:17 PM
Glen440
Rookie
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If the latch is seized in the open position it may still close. It used to be a common problem on some cars. The handle or latch would get stuck open then shut the door and it latches.

If this is the case you need to move it to the closed position then open.

Or its stuck locked.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:27 AM
aaopilot1

As far as I can tell it’s not locked. The lock portion doesn’t want to move and I can’t get a very good grip on it to try and move it. Are you able to confirm for me that the passenger works the same as the drivers in regards to when the door is locked and you pull the inside door handle it unlocks and opens the door at the same time? I’m not sure if that’s just a drivers side function or not. Thank you as well!

Old 09-06-2020, 12:39 PM
Glen440
Rookie
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Only my driver door will unlock with the inside handle. Passenger stays locked.

Old 09-06-2020, 03:44 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Wow, that is one rusty latch assembly. It looks like everything is moving. The door should unlock when you open the inner handle. I'm wondering if the latch is in a bind. This looks like you may need to engage the Neanderthal solution. I'm not a fan of brute force, but sometimes it's what you need to do. Don't try to pry on the door. It may make it worse. Roll the window down and have someone reach inside to open the door handle. Don't make a fist but punch as hard as you can with the heel of your hand. Hit the door as far towards the back at the latch as possible. Maybe you'll want to roll the seat forward and kick the door with your foot. Wear good heavy leather soled boots. The harder the heel the better. Just one or two punches or kicks. It will either pop open or it won't. If that doesn't work, I'd see what a body shop would charge to open it for you. Don't keep kicking it or you'll bust the window. That's why you want to roll it down anyway. Whoever is holding the handle open needs to be prepared to get hit with the door if it opens.

Old 09-06-2020, 04:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Might try also attempting to CLOSE the door.... the hip thump from the outside, while someone else holds the handle up sometimes will get things to shake loose.

I would be drowning that latch in PB blaster though. The whole thing.

The following users liked this post:
RalphP (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 04:58 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Might try also attempting to CLOSE the door.... the hip thump from the outside, while someone else holds the handle up sometimes will get things to shake loose.

RwP

Old 09-06-2020, 10:03 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou

I forgot about a bind being released by inward pressure. If the OP got the truck cheap, this may be why. I've gotten vehicles cheap over the years that had issuses the previous owner didn't want to fool with. Sometimes they will drive you to distraction but something clicks and you figure it out. To the OP, when you figure it out and get the door open and fixed, you'll find it feels GOOOOOD! Nothing like the sense of accomplishment.

Old 09-09-2020, 02:22 PM
aaopilot1

thank you everyone for you’re suggestions! I rolled the window down and stuck my body through it. Used my back to push up the door and pulled both the inside and outside door handle while rocking the whole truck trying to push it open. Finally it gave!

Last edited by aaopilot1; 09-09-2020 at 03:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RalphP (09-09-2020)

Quick Reply: 95 Dakota passenger door won’t open