1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New guy -- no headlights, brake lights, or horn!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 11:44 AM
riggler
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New guy -- no headlights, brake lights, or horn!

Hi all!

This is my first post here. I just got a 91 Dakota 350 V8. It’s beat up but I think I can get her back on the road. I’m not a really good mechanic or anything but I’m smart and have worked on cars before.

I’m hitting the electrical system stuff first so I can pass inspection. First roadblock is headlights, brake lights, and horn!!

I made a list so this is really easy to reply to:

1. Rear brake lights do NOT work, but rear turn signals (using the same lamps) do work!

2. Horn does NOT work!

3. Reverse lights DO work and all internal dash lights / dome light work best I can tell. Clock on radio works. TURN SIGNALS and ALL 4 HAZARDS work.

4. "Click" on then turning the headlamp switch up doesn't seem to do anything to any exterior or interior lights at all, with our without truck running -- In any pulled out or pushed in position of the switch. According to schematic it looks like it is for running lights??

5. Headlights do NOT work. No high beams or low beams. Disconnected the right headlight and at the 3 pin headlight connector with the car off, I don’t have continuity to ground anywhere. With the car on and headlight switch on, I don’t see 12V at the lights.

6. I DO test continuity on both lamps, both filaments, lamps are good.

7. High beam lever on steering column does nothing

8. Found a three pin connector under the dash by the fuse block that had +11VDC on the middle red lead. Other leads were yellow and black. This was energized no matter what position the headlight switch was in.

9. Could not find a loose Red/Orange and Violet pigtail others have talked about to test (hookup for plow lights).

10. Did find a 3 conductor black, violet, violet pigtail hanging there closer to steering column that I could get no voltage on any pins no matter what I did. Underneath each headlight there is a small 2 conductor pigtail hanging there where the plowlights would go. So I think that is the original plow light wiring.

11. I have a Haynes manual. Page 12-23 shows the connector to my switch. Is there a way I can definitively test this connector for voltages?
I would like to rule out the switch and harness connecting to the switch. I am not sure where any fusible links are located. I can read a schematic but I don't know what a couple of symbols are in the Haynes manual.

Switch pinout reference is:

B1
B2
B3
D
H
I
R
U

12. My gut is that it is the switch or a common ground that is no good. No brake lights, horn, or headlights… There is also a hi/lo beam switch in the steering column. My turn signals do work though...

I’ll try to post some pictures if I can! Sorry for the long post. Trying to be thorough.

Thank you so much,
Damian

Last edited by riggler; 10-23-2020 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:43 PM
Xombi
Professional
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You have I trust cleaned the fuse panel with contact cleaner and tested the fuses for continuity and voltage? I think you could get better advice in the Dakota section of the forum. Perhaps the moderator could move this for you.

The following users liked this post:
riggler (10-24-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 09:49 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Pick up a copy of the factory service manual.

For wiring, the Haynes ... well, it doesn't do good enough to suck. I call it 'Not even fit for toilet paper'.

The used paper copies can sometimes be found on eBay, but usually you can order them from Bishko, the reproducer for Chrysler Corp ( http://www.autobooksbishko.com/ ) for under $40.

RwP

Old 10-23-2020, 09:53 PM
RalphP
Champion

Also, if the turn signal / multifunction switch fails, you can end up with no brake lights while turn signals work.

Check the input and output of the brake light switch itself.

Check ALL of your fuses; don't just LOOK at them.

Don't forget the ones under the hood on a 1991!

And the ones under the dash!

RwP

The following users liked this post:
riggler (10-24-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 08:28 AM
riggler
Amateur

Well, yesterday I did order a factory service manual. The Haynes diagrams are definitely not 100% accurate for my truck.

A couple oddities:

The bottom center plug-in module in my fuse block always gets warm/hot whenever I open the door for a period of time.

I have no fuse for the dome light fuse (the teeth aren’t in there for it either) and yet I have a dome light.

That same multifunction switch you mention... you say you can lose brake lights from it... if I’m reading this right I can also lose headlights from it as it does the hi/Lo beam switching, right??

Anyone have a pic of what the connection for that switch looks like??

Old 10-24-2020, 10:35 AM
RalphP
Champion

The "bottom center plug-in module" is the time delay relay, most likely. It uses a resistive element (due to age, I THINK it's nichrome, but could be wrong!) to hold the light in for a while after you shut the door. Yep, it warms up.

The "dome light" is off the 5A constant current fuse; I'm not sure there IS a fuse labeled "dome light".

The multi function switch is used 1991-2000; that helps some. I have the 1992 wiring diagrams; the 1995 and 1996 ones are available from the FAQ (I'd stick with the 1995 for a "While waiting the real FSM to arrive" for all your troubleshooting.) I've attached the 2 speed and interval versions as a single PDF for you to peruse.

As to a pic ... best pic source I've found would be https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...on+switch,4580 and click on the appropriate switch to view it (there's several views; toggle until you get to the one of the socket on the switch).

RwP

Old 10-24-2020, 11:36 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

1991 Dakota 350V8..... has engine been swapped? If stock should have been a 318 V8..... (there have been 350 Chevy engines and LS Chevy engines put into Dakotas before, I believe there is even a thread on it here) such things tick me off to no end..... if this thing has been done like that Id hate to imagine what sort of wiring quagmire might nave been created as a result....wiring is no place for butchery.

Old 10-24-2020, 12:06 PM
riggler
Amateur

Guys thank you all for your replies. They help a LOT. Going to print that PDF and also follow other advice in this thread and see what I can come up with. If I can get these lights resolved I think I'm going to be okay for inspection so crossing fingers!

And yes my engine is the original V8, 5.2 liter. I don't know why I wrote 350... sorry!

BUT, some kind of butchery must have ensued here... because there is no fuse in the dome light spot in the holder, no fingers for it either in the holder. Yet the dome light works. So... I don't know. Hoping the factory service manual sheds some light on it. But I think ...... BUTCHERY!

Gotta stay focused on the lights. I have ADD and my mind wants to go to all the other stuff I have questions on. Will post back, thank you guys! One thing at a time.

Can anyone tell me on the main headlight switch CONNECTOR what pins I should be seeing 12V on??

Old 10-24-2020, 12:17 PM
RalphP
Champion

Just as a note ... if someone was REALLY obtuse, they might swap in a B block 350 from a 1958 Dodge, Chrysler, or Desoto ... (Yes, Mopar DID sell a 350cid/5.7L V8 in 1958. It was a one year wonder, using the same block as the 361, which was quickly morphed to the B block 383.)

RwP

Old 10-24-2020, 12:26 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by riggler
Guys thank you all for your replies. They help a LOT. Going to print that PDF and also follow other advice in this thread and see what I can come up with. If I can get these lights resolved I think I'm going to be okay for inspection so crossing fingers!

And yes my engine is the original V8, 5.2 liter. I don't know why I wrote 350... sorry!

BUT, some kind of butchery must have ensued here... because there is no fuse in the dome light spot in the holder, no fingers for it either in the holder. Yet the dome light works. So... I don't know. Hoping the factory service manual sheds some light on it. But I think ...... BUTCHERY!

Gotta stay focused on the lights. I have ADD and my mind wants to go to all the other stuff I have questions on. Will post back, thank you guys! One thing at a time.

Can anyone tell me on the main headlight switch CONNECTOR what pins I should be seeing 12V on??
Which fuse are you calling "dome light"? For 1992, the dome lights are off Fuse F2, a tan 5A in the Power Distribution Center. 1991 may be different. And if it IS, you may have a 1992 or later PDC cover on your 1991, which will be confusing I'm sure.

(And if you're referring to the Haynes for that - well, it's wrong. It usually is for wiring. Ignore it.)

As to the 12V in on the headlight connector - I've attached a PDF of the 1993 headlight switch wiring. It's the same switch, logically it would be wired the same.

RwP

Attached Files

Quick Reply: New guy -- no headlights, brake lights, or horn!