1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel tank repar - 1988 dakota

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 12:41 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I don't pay much attention to what people say on the internet. My experience goes back well before there was an internet. I'm thinking more along the lines of D.O.T. regulations. Go to any well run salvage yard. Fuel tanks are pulled, drained then stored away from everything else.
Back in the days of metal tanks too.

The local u-pull-it yards just drill a hole to drain them; not so much for possible fire hazard, although that's a concern, but to avoid the ENVIROMENTAL hazard of draining gasoline into the ground!

RwP

Old 12-27-2020, 09:34 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

if you didn't properly prep the bowl, the epoxy would pop right back off.
Bowl was cleaned and sanded(on both sides,pin hole) with sand paper to allow it to "bite". Still failed, i have used it on different types of plastics and it will not adhere well to some of them. This is the generic stuff sold in the hardware stores. If you plan on using it try it on a location of the tank to see if it will adhere. That's not saying it will stay that way when gas is in the tank. I did visit their site and found this it says it is for metal gas tanks. Also says "petroleum resistant".

Old 12-27-2020, 11:04 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

One last note - patch it from both INSIDE and OUTSIDE if you use the JBWeld that Moparite linked to (which is what I had in mind!)

RwP

Quick Reply: Fuel tank repar - 1988 dakota