1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 02:31 PM
Matthew Parlier
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Shifting issues

So, on my 1996 dodge Dakota 2wd I replaced the clutch, pressure plate, friction plate, pilot bearing, clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder<bought the whole unit>
I've driven it probably 300 to 500 miles and now it won't go into gear.

When I press on the clutch pedal it looks like the cylinder is actuating and pressing the clutch fork in to put pressure on the pressure plate and friction plate to be able to shift gears, but im not able to shift gears.
on the slave cylinder the tabs never broke, I watched a video that said the tabs will break on their own.

Also, i used some anti size on the splines of the transmission, where the friction plate slides in.

I didn't get the flywheel machined down because to me, it looked okay.

Does anyone have any idea what could maybe be my issue? It was shifting just fine, until it wasn't. :/
Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Matthew Parlier; 03-19-2021 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 05:37 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

I have no idea about your tranny but I did have a similar issue with my Ram 50. Turned out the throw out bearing that came with the new clutch was shorter than the one I had/have in there. It wouldn't even let the spring that holds it to the arm that push/pulls it stay on when I manually tested it before putting the transmission back in. Too bad I put it back in without testing it the first time and it did what you describe.

The following users liked this post:
Matthew Parlier (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 05:52 PM
Matthew Parlier
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thank you

I guess I'm just being lazy, I'm trying to get an idea of what could be wrong before I tear it all apart again. Thank you very much for sharing that with me, I think I'll get a better idea when I tear it apart, I just got injuries and was ran over by an SUV while I was walking across the street not paying attention. Appreciate you, thank you, regardless of what's what it's only gonna be a 400$ fix, thank you brother man, I replaced the throw out bearing too, could have been the wrong one though, you never know, rock auto hasn't Always sent me the right parts, thanks brother, I appreciate your time.

Quick Reply: Shifting issues