1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1st gen rear end swap info to give

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 11:16 PM
cwkerr007
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1st gen rear end swap info to give

i post this at every dakota site i am a member of just so it can help some of y'all so hear goes all of the late 90s ford exp that have the traction assist (?those squigly lines on the dash) are disk brake lim slip posi's and before y'll get started you call it what ever name you want but both wheels spin unless your turning ! My point is they are cheap and everywhere and will bolt right in with new u-bolts and weld new shock mounts buy a custom ujoint and it does away with those #$%^%$# straps holding the ujoints now the with is the same the bolt patt is the same as our 5 lug trucks and theDISC BRAKES STOP THE TRUCK i have had mine in for 3 yrs with no issues and i abuse it reg if you just give the guys pullin the parts for ya a little lunch mon tell them not to cut it out you can use the brake hoses and lines if you want to do this mod i will be happy to give ya info so i hope this helps some of us out

Old 07-19-2021, 11:29 PM
cwkerr007
Amateur

and all you english teachers on this thread i didn't post this for a grade or an opinion on that thanx in advance

The following users liked this post:
tndakman (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 09:54 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Huh.

According to the Ford manual, if it has traction assist, it's not limited slip (TA uses the ABS pumps under ECU control to apply brakes to the slipping wheel). And my FSMs there, for the 94+, are Ford Global, not just MN12.

Source: Am a 1991 Cougar owner, and admin at a TBird/Cougar forum.

RwP

Old 07-20-2021, 11:58 AM
cwkerr007
Amateur

i got mine out of a 90's exp tyhere will be a tag on the re telling you it's ls and the wires hooked to it are for traction *** speed sen most of the exp are ls i looked at several of them in the salvage yard and 1/2 of them i looked at were posi so if your books are saying that there not i have one and it's deff posi and i've bought two running ones since i put mine in and 1 wasn't one was so take my help however you want but it's a cheap way to get a brake system that WORKS and you have more choice for wheels and it's uj system is far better so it's a no lose situation so if you choose not to do it it is your choice but it will transform the trucks drive ability and if your to lazy to get underneath the exp and look for the tag then you will never know but if you don't believe that they are posi then ignore me and keep what you got call me a liar and have a nice day

Old 07-20-2021, 12:11 PM
cwkerr007
Amateur

if you want to check it without a book just jack it up and turn one wheel and the other wheel will turn the same direction if it turns opp then it isn't

Old 07-20-2021, 12:19 PM
RalphP
Champion

Whoa there, buckeroo!

I didn't call you a liar. Just stating what the book has.

And for those looking ... if the diff has the TrakLok in it, it'll have a L for the decimal (for instance, my 1991 Cougar has a 3L08 rear end; ones with Traction Assist have 3 08 rear ends.)

I'll add that you don't make many friends being obnoxious. If this is how you want to be, I'd recommend staying on Facebook, where all the other kiddos play.

RwP

Old 07-20-2021, 12:21 PM
RalphP
Champion

I'll also add that my 1988 has 5x4.5, so same choice of wheels save that I'll need the larger center bore (which would be needed for the FRONT anyway.)

But eh.

Suit yourself.

RwP

Old 07-20-2021, 12:28 PM
cwkerr007
Amateur

i don't work for ford or any other car man in any way but esp not for ford so i am just giving you my personal exp with this pert vehicle and i got the idea from google cause i didn't want to spend a fortune on an axle and wanted the same wheel pattern and the exp was my best choice and after real life hands on WORK of investigating this is my result so i didn't write a book about it i just put the result in my truck and moved on and i thought it would be a nice thing to pass the info on and if it doesn't help 1000 people and only helps one and angers a few people that wrote a book then i'm happy i was here for that 1 guy and screw the rest of them and that's my way so i hope that one guy is as happy as me!!

Old 07-20-2021, 12:36 PM
cwkerr007
Amateur

well you see the wheels on that 88 they all have the same cb if you want to get another re for your truck and you want to fix the re that's in it i'm happy for you till you rear end mine cause you can't stop the truck cause your brake suck and you wanted the same center bore but at least you didn't have to buy 6 lug wheels was my point

Old 07-20-2021, 12:38 PM
cwkerr007
Amateur

i'll stop resp to this thread from here on out and i hope it helps somebody and if no one wants the help then i'm sorry i bothered you and if you do good luck

Quick Reply: 1st gen rear end swap info to give