1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Ever have a day ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 11:12 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I use my air angle grinder, and a whizz wheel, designed for aluminum. Takes about five minutes to get the thing pristine. I love air tools.
Well, still recovering from my tools being stolen LAST weekend; but I don't have the air compressor to run any air tools.

Would love that angle grinder and whizz wheel combo; angle grinder is still not obtained, so ...

RwP

Old 12-05-2021, 11:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
Well, still recovering from my tools being stolen LAST weekend; but I don't have the air compressor to run any air tools.

Would love that angle grinder and whizz wheel combo; angle grinder is still not obtained, so ...

RwP
These days, even the el-cheapo harbor fright fellers will work. Not like I use them every day.

The following users liked this post:
RalphP (12-05-2021)
Old 12-05-2021, 12:11 PM
RalphP
Champion

Well, true, but I needed the drill more for this past week. And once spent, my dollar doesn't do anymore.

It's on my list, along with the Bauer 1/2" Impact Wrench and a couple of the 5.0AH batteries (they didn't steal the 5.0AH batteries, I had two 1.5s and one 3.0; but I'm going back with the 5.0s also.)

RwP

Old 12-05-2021, 12:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well, true, but I needed the drill more for this past week. And once spent, my dollar doesn't do anymore.

It's on my list, along with the Bauer 1/2" Impact Wrench and a couple of the 5.0AH batteries (they didn't steal the 5.0AH batteries, I had two 1.5s and one 3.0; but I'm going back with the 5.0s also.)

RwP
Years ago, and a couple residences ago..... I had some kids break into my garage, and steal a selection of my air tools. I actually found it rather funny, as they took all the old, beat up air tools, that had fittings in them, but, left the brand-new, still-in-the-box tools that were sitting on the bench right next to the cabinet they took the old ones out of......

That was the second round of tool thefts at that place.... First time, they got ALL of my sockets and drive tools..... That did not make me happy.

After that, I went a bit further in securing my garage.... wired all the doors/windows to a school bell. (the kind that rings constantly, so long as power is applied.) The bell went off twice. No tools were taken, and four teenagers found themselves in hot water. What was even MORE amusing, was the cops found all my old air tools.

RalphP (12-05-2021)
Old 12-05-2021, 12:47 PM
RalphP
Champion

All my tool thefts were out of my truck; first time, mea culpa, I had left toolboxes in the truck bed.

Second time, they CUT the wire rope I was using to chain the toolboxes in, and left the bolt cutter they used ...

I then put a camera and light up, and the thefts stopped.

This last time was in Dallas at a hotel.

Le sigh.

I need a garage; but don't have one. Oh, well. Win the lottery, not only will the new house have more bathrooms then bedrooms, it'll have a 4 car garage; tall enough for a lift in one of the bays.

RwP

Last edited by RalphP; 12-05-2021 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Edit: Spelink is fundermhentul!
Old 12-05-2021, 02:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

All my tool thefts were out of my truck; first time, mea culpa, I had left toolboxes in the truck bed.

Second time, they CUT the wire rope I was using to chain the toolboxes in, and left the bolt cutter they used ...

I then put a camera and light up, and the thefts stopped.

This last time was in Dallas at a hotel.

Le sigh.

I need a garage; but don't have one. Oh, well. Win the lottery, not only will the new house have more bathrooms then bedrooms, it'll have a 4 car garage; tall enough for a lift in one of the bays.

RwP
That was the plan last time I went house shopping. Central Air, and at LEAST a two car garage were requirements. Found a place with the garage, AND a 50x50 barn, with a NEW concrete floor. Just, no power in the barn. While the house sat empty, someone(s) stripped all the wiring out of the barn...... Gonna cost me to get power out there again......

Funny part is, we found the place by accident. We were looking at other places, and saw this one when we were out just driving around.

RalphP (12-05-2021)
Old 12-05-2021, 04:00 PM
RalphP
Champion

That may be the best way to find one, HeyYou.

Followup: The metal radiator has a smaller overflow drain tube than the plastic one had; so now the hose is too big to fit. Along with no ridges on it, I'd say I need new tubing.

That's the only place I spot water coming out as the motor heats up, though.

I say it's a successful transplant.

Side note: If I do another one, I need to pick up a 1.5" long 1/4-20 bolt; that's to put in one hole through the pulley and water pump, so I can balance the fan clutch assembly on it while getting the other three on. THEN replace it with the right sized one.

RwP

Old 12-05-2021, 05:45 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 439 Likes on 376 Posts

Maybe I overlooked it but did the timing chain cover gasket blow and you decided to swap the water pump while you were there or did the water pump blow and you decided to swap out the timing chain cover gasket while you were there? Or neither?

Old 12-05-2021, 05:56 PM
RalphP
Champion

Didn't change the timing change cover to block gasket, but the timing chain cover to water pump gasket. Since I was changing the water pump.

RwP

bronze (12-05-2021)
Old 12-05-2021, 05:58 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That was the plan last time I went house shopping. Central Air, and at LEAST a two car garage were requirements. Found a place with the garage, AND a 50x50 barn, with a NEW concrete floor. Just, no power in the barn. While the house sat empty, someone(s) stripped all the wiring out of the barn...... Gonna cost me to get power out there again......

Funny part is, we found the place by accident. We were looking at other places, and saw this one when we were out just driving around.
Just a note - read up on the code requirements. You SHOULD be able to wire the barn itself, and then have the electrician do the connection to mains.

Pick up an oversized breaker box; be sure to run 230V to a few spots for things like future welders and air compressors; and run extra lighting wiring for later.

RwP

Quick Reply: Ever have a day ...