1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

89 Convertible Transmission Gripe List

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 11:39 AM
blizzblang
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 89 Convertible Transmission Gripe List

Been browsing threads for a few days and just decided to start one for these problems. Looking to hear your experiences and knowledge on this.

1. Entering or exiting 3nd gear sounds and feels like the transmission is-itself cresting a hill. You feel everything rise in the seat, there's a bit of a lurch, then the tension is released and it returns to normal.
2. Drone-vibration at higher speeds (65+), Only happens at particular speeds and throttle positions. Very easy to avoid, hard to predict. Usually happens at lower RPM's while coasting, but can happen under load as well.
3. Reverse isn't reliable. Sometimes it stalls-dies when I drop it into reverse, other times it starts sputtering and fighting then dies, and rarely it will just work. I usually neutral roll out of parking spots.
4. Flutters for a second when I start to accelerate. I hear a mechanism go off-on-off-on for a split-second and it starts. It sounds heavy and affects the power delivery. It's as-if something has to make up it's mind before it finally fully engages. Turning on cruise control and letting that accelerate seems to prevent it from happening completely.

What I've done
1. Replaced the solenoid, filter, and fluid in the pan. This made it perform better overall, but no issue was completely eliminated.
2. Checked u-joints for play. Wasn't able to find any, doesn't mean it isn't there.

What I'm thinking
1. Band adjustment
2. Kickdown adjustment.
(unrelated) 3. Rebuild the carb/throttle-body with new gaskets to eliminate any vacuum leaks in that system. I know these probably aren't the problem, but I'd like to eliminate the engine as a source of interference.

Writing everything out always helps, and I'm seeing that my linkages definitely need a once-over. I'm going to get started on some small things tonight and work into the bigger things tomorrow. Let me know what you think guys, I'd love to see.

Last edited by blizzblang; 12-17-2021 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 05:30 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Not just the throttle body - check ALL your vacuum hoses.

That drone and vibration at 65+ may well be U-joints too; due to age, I'd consider replacing. (I'd suggest, since it's not a drag car, to go grease-able; but they are inherently weaker in the web than permanently lubed ones. NOT where a 89 3.9 or 5.2 can stress them though!)

While you had the pan off, did you adjust the bands on the transmission, or no? If not, consider redoing the fluid and adjusting the bands.

RwP

Old 12-19-2021, 03:01 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

u joints can bind and rust up too/ besides getting loose. I have never had anything that wasn't a Dodge (or Chrysler or Plymouth or jeep, post buyout by Chrysler) in my life.
never owned a FWD anything before either (I know, has nothin to do with what we're talkin about, but just sayin')
But I ALSO have yet to own a Dodge that I HAVEN'T had to put U joints into at least once under my watch.... except my 99 Dakota which I ain't done with yet, haha
They aint expensive, even the "good" ones.... NOT a place to scrimp over a few bucks.

The following users liked this post:
RalphP (12-19-2021)

Quick Reply: 89 Convertible Transmission Gripe List