1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

96 Dakota SLT Ext.cab 318 magnum, automatic

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 11:00 AM
Fisherman3758
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Dakota SLT Ext.cab 318 magnum, automatic

I'm changing my Timing chain and waterpump,Can I get away with Not changing my whole Oil Pan Gasket? I was thinking,instead of reusing the part of the old gasket that meshes the bottom of my timing cover to the oil pan, instead buy a new oil pan gasket and cutting this part of it off the new gasket and using it, instead of changing the whole gasket.
Has anyone did this with success,and no leaks?

Old 01-05-2022, 01:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

If you are careful removing the timing cover, you can just leave the oil pan gasket in place. Take all the bolts out, and break it loose on TOP first, then tilt it forward to get it to break free of the rest. A little RTV in the corners where block-timing cover-pan meet isn't a bad idea. Don't cut the gasket, that'll leave a path for oil to escape.

Old 01-06-2022, 08:51 PM
Flounderguy
Professional
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I just did exactly what Hey recommended, about a month ago. No oil leaks so far.

Old 01-10-2022, 01:52 AM
Fisherman3758
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you are careful removing the timing cover, you can just leave the oil pan gasket in place. Take all the bolts out, and break it loose on TOP first, then tilt it forward to get it to break free of the rest. A little RTV in the corners where block-timing cover-pan meet isn't a bad idea. Don't cut the gasket, that'll leave a path for oil to escape.
Well when I was removing my Timing cover,I did pull it forward but it would not come loose at the bottom,so I repeatedly at to jerk and pull until it finally came loose at the bottom of the timing cover.This is why I was thinking of buying a new oil pan gasket and cutting off this front part of the gasket and replacing it on my 96 Dakota SLT.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:10 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts

Im not for or against this practice. I've done it successfully many times. I've quite often replaced the main seals on Cummins and Navistar engines that use a seal carrier and when you cant get the seal removed from the carrier you remove the whole carrier to knock it out. It meshes with the oil pan much like the timing cover. I've cut out the section of the pan gasket and installed it in place using silicon on both edges with no leaks. Though usually you could probably get away with negating the gasket completely and filling with silicon instead of wasted money on a whole gasket to use a little piece.

Most truck applications the pan is easily removed so if this is necessary I usually just advise the customer replace the pan gasket. On a Cummins or Navistar is was probably already leaking anyway.

Quick Reply: 96 Dakota SLT Ext.cab 318 magnum, automatic