1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Valve Cover Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 12:57 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Flounderguy
I put Felpro gaskets on my valve covers a few years ago. I didn’t use any RTV or gasket material. Last year I had to take the valve covers off again and reused the rubber Felpro gaskets. No leaks.

I made a few guide bolts by cutting the heads off some fasteners and cutting a slot in the top for a screw driver. It made it really easy to get the gasket and cover lined up.
Didn't see this when I posted...good advice.

Old 02-26-2022, 10:00 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 433 Likes on 370 Posts

Some real good tips here, Fellas. I have plenty of 1/4-20 fasteners in all kind of lengths. I like tbugden's idea about making replacement studs if necessary. I have some 1/4-20 x 6" screws that would work. Also like Flounder's idea for guide bolts. I'll be doing that! Yes, I will likely reuse my fasteners unless they are really boogered up. Don't think that's the case but I have backups if I need them. Right now I cannot find distilled water anywhere. Store shelves are picked clean. I'm changing coolant and all the hoses at the same time I'm doing the gasket job. I need new hoses anyway and it will help having them out of the way when I do the gasket job. Just gotta find some distilled water somewhere.

Since I started this thread I researched the idea of using RTV with a gasket (do both together). Lots of people do it. Some implore you NOT to do that. What is consistent are those who do it are weekend warriors (like me) and the ones who implore you not to do it are professional mechanics. Tells me everything I need to know. RTV is out!

Old 03-07-2022, 07:18 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 433 Likes on 370 Posts

Job done. Went well. Few bolts a little tough to get to but doable. Worst was the corner stud on right side next to back of alt. 1/4" drive w/deep well socket and swivel was all I could get to work without taking off the alt. I did re-use all the hardware. It was in good shape, just cleaned them up. And I used Flounder's tip by making guide screws to hold the gasket in place during cover mounting. Just used 4 of them, the rest lined up fine. Worked perfectly. Excellent tip, Flounder!

Last edited by bronze; 03-07-2022 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2022, 12:53 PM
Flounderguy
Professional
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Happy to help

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Gasket