1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Valve Cover Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 07:56 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 433 Likes on 370 Posts
Default Valve Cover Gasket

1993 Dodge Dakota LE, 5.2L, Auto Trans, RWD

My valve cover gaskets will need changing soon. Just wondering if y'all use only a gasket, only RTV make-a-gasket, or both together?

Also, I'm thinking those are 1/4-20 threads on the mounting bolts. How important is length? I believe the stock bolts are just short of an inch. They also have those ones with the thingy sticking above to allow for those spark plug wire retainers. I usually prefer using new fasteners but maybe will have to reuse the ones with the retainer stuff on them.

Last edited by bronze; 01-22-2022 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:36 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

I haven't done it a lot but I did remove the driver side cover on my 94 just to have a look and if I remember correctly the gasket was fine and I put the cover back in place as it was w/o sealer.

Old 02-24-2022, 10:51 AM
bronze
Record Breaker

OK, I found something interesting. I'll be replacing my leaky valve cover gaskets within the next week or two. First time on my 5.2L. As I was sizing up the mounting bolt heads I discovered some of them were loose. I mean, I could have unscrewed them with my fingers with little effort. How the oil is not pouring out of them is a mystery. Yes, my truck is 29 years old but I'm curious, is this normal on these 5.2s? Additionally, this begs the question...should I be using blue threadlocker on these screws?

Last edited by bronze; 02-24-2022 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-24-2022, 12:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Screws or studs?? I know on my 96, a fair few of the studs, the threads in the head were stripped.

The gaskets break down over time, so, you get a bit of slop. I think they are supposed to be rubber/viton, and reusable... But, it's been a while.

Old 02-24-2022, 03:31 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Screws or studs?? I know on my 96, a fair few of the studs, the threads in the head were stripped.

The gaskets break down over time, so, you get a bit of slop. I think they are supposed to be rubber/viton, and reusable... But, it's been a while.
The couple studded ones I checked seemed to be OK though the ones on the pushrod side have those wire harness tie thingies on them so I couldn't get a socket on them to check. So it was just the screws that were lose (that I could tell). And not all of them but half at least. I didn't check them all. For example, the frontmost screws (pushrod and valve sides) on the drivers side were loose. They weren't cinching down anything. Can't believe there wasn't an oilfall coming out of there.

You know, I bought a new Fel-Pro replacement gasket set already and looking at the FSM today it said the stock gaskets were reuseable. I had no idea! I'm not exactly sure what that means. Does it mean you can cinch down the valve covers and it will re-seal or does it mean you still have to take the covers off and clean up mating surfaces in order to re-use the gasket? Truthfully, I never knew there was such a thing as a reusable valve cover gasket. Not sure how much faith I would have in those visa vie a new $25 Fel-Pro set. Looks like there are reusable head gaskets on these engines too.

I'm curious, how did those head threads get stripped on yours? Did you strip them or did you inherit them stripped? Also, how did you fix them? Helicoil? Did you use blue threadlock?

Old 02-24-2022, 06:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Its more about the material the gasket is made of, than anything. The cork, or cardboard gaskets tend to 'become one' with the surfaces they are sealing, so, they get destroyed when you take it apart. The reusable fellers are a soft rubber, or viton, so they seal nicely when compressed, and don't stick to the mating surfaces. (as much....) they DO stretch out though, so while they may be 'reusable', it isn't always easy to get 'em back in where they are supposed to be, in a configuration that will let them reseal properly. And yes, you still need clean mating surfaces.

Old 02-24-2022, 08:59 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou;[url=tel:3538389
3538389[/url]]Its more about the material the gasket is made of, than anything. The cork, or cardboard gaskets tend to 'become one' with the surfaces they are sealing, so, they get destroyed when you take it apart. The reusable fellers are a soft rubber, or viton, so they seal nicely when compressed, and don't stick to the mating surfaces. (as much....) they DO stretch out though, so while they may be 'reusable', it isn't always easy to get 'em back in where they are supposed to be, in a configuration that will let them reseal properly. And yes, you still need clean mating surfaces.
Somehow I feel better using a brand new gasket. I never heard anyone bitch about those Fel-Pro, rubber compound gaskets. And seeing I already shelled out $25 for it….

Kinda surprised I can get to all 20 valve cover fasteners without having to rip out a bunch of stuff. Mostly just shoving spaghetti out of the way. Biggest concern is unknowingly unplugging sumpin or disconnecting a vacuum line.

Old 02-25-2022, 09:07 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I NEVER use any kind of gasket goo on those gasket. Ever.
this ain't no Chevy, that company loves their damn RTV.
Any time there is a rubber, paper or cork gasket made for the application I always use a gasket. There are places and times for gasket cement or RTV but that definitely is not one of those.

Old 02-26-2022, 12:34 AM
Flounderguy
Professional
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I put Felpro gaskets on my valve covers a few years ago. I didn’t use any RTV or gasket material. Last year I had to take the valve covers off again and reused the rubber Felpro gaskets. No leaks.

I made a few guide bolts by cutting the heads off some fasteners and cutting a slot in the top for a screw driver. It made it really easy to get the gasket and cover lined up.

The following users liked this post:
tbugden (02-26-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 12:56 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If you really want to have all new fasteners you can just get long bolts and cut the heads off them, use them as studs.

Personally unless they're damaged I'd just clean them up and reuse them.

A whole bunch of them were finger loose on the 318 I bought and it wasn't even leaking. Definitely don't need any RTV, they seal very well as is.

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Gasket