1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Engine Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 01:39 AM
Lukus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Makeover

Hey everybody just a general info to start. Im the proud owner of a 1991 Dodge Dakota with a 318 V8. Very fun and not very efficient. Anyway Ive been wanting to squeeze more power out of it for a while now since mine is only the 170 hp version. The exhaust is already taken care of and I just need direction of where to go. I dont have the time or space to build a Gen 3 Hemi so please dont suggest it. I know these engines are pretty bulletproof, i am just curious if you guys think itd be safe to throw a procharger on it right now or if I need to build up the internals first. my end goal would be in the ballpark of 350-400 hp. any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

also noted its only got 129k miles and the front end suspension/steering column has been rebuilt.

Old 03-03-2022, 08:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,381 Likes on 3,121 Posts

I'd be a bit nervous about running any more than around 7 pounds of boost on a high mileage motor..... If there are any weak points, that would be one sure way to find 'em.

That said, boost is certainly the quickest/easiest way to get the power you are looking for. Gonna need to do something about fueling though, and your PCM is not flash programmable....

Quick Reply: Engine Makeover