1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Stalls under load

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 04:56 PM
KenneyC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalls under load

Greeting everyone, I own a 1988 Dodge Dakota 3.9L pu. When I first bought this truck it ran beautifully. I did my own tume up: Plugs, wires, rotor and cap.
The truck has over 220,000 miles on it. Just recently the truck has had a terrible time staying running while in gear. I did some of my own troubleshooting, replacing the fuel filter, which did no good. Asked a friend to help diagnose problem and could not figure it out. I found a good mechanic/tech to diagnose the problem, which he did.
The temp sensor was bad; replaced, looking at the distributor, he found "bubbles" on the pick-ups, don't know if he replaced it yet, but I am guessing that there may be a problem with the ECM/ECU; did a google search on this item and cannot find the correct part (My ECM/ECU has a round connector, not oblong).
Any help/ideas that I can get will be helpful. I am a disabled vet on a fixed income and cannot afford to purchase another vehicle. Please help!

Old 03-06-2022, 06:42 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

You may have to remove your ECM to get the numbers off of it. I'd wait until the parts he's already said were bad have been replaced and see what it does.
Here is a link to rock auto, 1988. Make sure I selected the correct vehicle. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...computer),2896
And here is a link to the Bishko page for the Factory Service Manual. they are the original printers. You can get it on CD it looks like about $40 plus shipping I think.http://www.autobooksbishko.com/searc...ry=Shop+Manual

Old 03-06-2022, 07:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

What plugs did you put in it?

Old 03-06-2022, 08:42 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm confused, you said the tech diagnosed the problem? But it's still happening after he fixed it?

Quick Reply: Stalls under load