1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Stubborn Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 09:44 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Nothing about the spindle to cause such a noise. It isn't that.

Old 03-10-2022, 10:03 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

I'm looking at what's been done and it seems comprehensive. My first thought was the sway bar bushings as I had a Chubby S-10 that creaked from the factory. Was any lubricant put on the bushings where they meet the sway bar? I had found a case of "Personal Lubricant" in the back of a car I got in the salvage yard I was running at the time. The family that sold it to us said their father ran a front end shop and used a lot of it. It stopped the creaking until a couple of heavy rains washed it out.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:29 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 429 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I'm looking at what's been done and it seems comprehensive. My first thought was the sway bar bushings as I had a Chubby S-10 that creaked from the factory. Was any lubricant put on the bushings where they meet the sway bar? I had found a case of "Personal Lubricant" in the back of a car I got in the salvage yard I was running at the time. The family that sold it to us said their father ran a front end shop and used a lot of it. It stopped the creaking until a couple of heavy rains washed it out.
Yes, Sir. I used the Energy Suspension lube that came with the bushings. And it eliminated one of the noises I was experiencing when going over speed bumps especially.
Oh, and I removed the sway bar temporarily and it made no difference in the noise.

This noise is rather sharp (popping). Like two pieces of metal slapping each other. Makes me think something is shifting when I hit the brake or turn. A bit more than a creak and why I'm having trouble dismissing it as "It's just an old truck".

Last edited by bronze; 03-10-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-10-2022, 02:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,257 Likes on 3,004 Posts

So what is still in there, that ISN'T new???

Old 03-10-2022, 02:40 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
So what is still in there, that ISN'T new???
Not much.

Steering column/shaft
Rack n pinion
Brake booster
Spindle/steering knuckle

Had her out today. If I put quick medium or heavy pressure on the brake going down the road 30ish MPH I can hear the pop/clank as soon as I apply the brake. If I feather-touch the brake pedal easing it down I hear nothing. Can brake pads do that? I lubed the phenolic piston face and caliper ears (other side) with sil glyde. Do brake boosters make that kinda noise?

Last edited by bronze; 03-10-2022 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-10-2022, 04:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

How is the bushing at the bottom of the steering column? I know on the full sized trucks, they can be problematic...

Old 03-10-2022, 05:22 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How is the bushing at the bottom of the steering column? I know on the full sized trucks, they can be problematic...
Are you talking inside the cab near the firewall?

Old 03-10-2022, 06:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Nope, in the engine compartment, where the intermediate shaft hits it.

Old 03-10-2022, 06:22 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by bronze
Yes, Sir. I used the Energy Suspension lube that came with the bushings. And it eliminated one of the noises I was experiencing when going over speed bumps especially.
Oh, and I removed the sway bar temporarily and it made no difference in the noise.

This noise is rather sharp (popping). Like two pieces of metal slapping each other. Makes me think something is shifting when I hit the brake or turn. A bit more than a creak and why I'm having trouble dismissing it as "It's just an old truck".

Goodness! I'm no Sir! My parents were married. (Yes, to each other, well, until after I showed up.) I'm going to go over the list that you did to the truck and think about what might cause it. (At least until my head hurts.)

Old 03-10-2022, 06:29 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Well, the headache came in fast so I had to quit thinking. A couple of questions though. How are the caliper pins on the brakes moving? Are the pads wearing flat or at an angle. Are there any wear or grind marks on the inside of the wheels in front?

I had a '93 V-6 Sport I bought new. After a few years, I was getting an odd grinding noise when I braked. The pads were wearing at an angle and leaving grind marks on the inside of the wheel. New pads cured it and I quit using the truck to stop a large trailer without brakes.

I'm not saying this is your problem, just something to eliminate.

Quick Reply: Stubborn Noise