1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

A/C troubleshooting R134A converted 93 Dakota V8

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 03:16 PM
Stch_Fix
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C troubleshooting R134A converted 93 Dakota V8

Hey all so I am back with another thing I am working on on this Dakota. I went to UTI for Auto Body but I really don't think I paid that much attention during the A/C course lol. So, I converted the fittings for R134A and when I got the truck I replaced the condenser cause the chick who owned it before me hit a deer and it had some front end damage including the condenser. I then replaced the Receiver/Drier and the Expansion Valve. It was leaking still so I got it diagnosed and they said the actual hoses are leaking. So I changed those. The replacement hoses have huge welds on them that prevent the bolt with washer to meet up flat against part and I think they are not as snug as they could be because of this. We recharged with R134A after vacuuming the system but still leaks and the "sniffer" I bought also still smells leaks at the receiver/drier. Where the welds are an issue on the new hoses. Also, did not change the compresser. It cycles on but the air in the cab is not cold. At all. The hoses aren't getting cold either. Nothing is happening in the sight glass on the drier. My dad thinks the compressor is shot. The clutch does engage. I kept thinking not enough refrigertant. It keeps leaking out though. So I don't know what to do next besides replace compressor. I keep reading compressor is bad or Condenser is clogged. Any suggestions for leaks and what might be going on? I can take a pic of the weld problem if needed.

Old 04-28-2022, 03:34 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 425 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Stch_Fix
Hey all so I am back with another thing I am working on on this Dakota. I went to UTI for Auto Body but I really don't think I paid that much attention during the A/C course lol. So, I converted the fittings for R134A and when I got the truck I replaced the condenser cause the chick who owned it before me hit a deer and it had some front end damage including the condenser. I then replaced the Receiver/Drier and the Expansion Valve. It was leaking still so I got it diagnosed and they said the actual hoses are leaking. So I changed those. The replacement hoses have huge welds on them that prevent the bolt with washer to meet up flat against part and I think they are not as snug as they could be because of this. We recharged with R134A after vacuuming the system but still leaks and the "sniffer" I bought also still smells leaks at the receiver/drier. Where the welds are an issue on the new hoses. Also, did not change the compresser. It cycles on but the air in the cab is not cold. At all. The hoses aren't getting cold either. Nothing is happening in the sight glass on the drier. My dad thinks the compressor is shot. The clutch does engage. I kept thinking not enough refrigertant. It keeps leaking out though. So I don't know what to do next besides replace compressor. I keep reading compressor is bad or Condenser is clogged. Any suggestions for leaks and what might be going on? I can take a pic of the weld problem if needed.
Has the AC ever worked for you?

The best way to find AC leaks is with UV dye. You'll need the black light and funky yellow glasses and some UV dye. See links below. Don't have to buy those, shop around if you want but this gives you an idea. You put some of the dye in then search for the leak with your black light and funky glasses. It will glow. Tells you exactly where the leak is. If you can't find it then there's a good chance the evaporator has a leak. That's buried behind your dash and a big job. You'll need to find someone who has a borescope who can shove it down your vents to try and find the leak there. Many mechanics have borescopes. Or you can buy your own borescope. Not too expensive.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Old 04-28-2022, 06:13 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Try running the defroster. If it gets hot the ac compressor is probably fine. I found out that is where the defroster gets its heat from by asking a dealer mechanic what that noise was when I ran my defroster.

Old 04-29-2022, 10:48 AM
Stch_Fix
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A/C has never worked. I have the UV dye and glasses but I don't think I was doing it right because I didn't see any Dye anywhere I didn't do it in the dark though? My dad decides to test the compressor by taking off the hoses at the compressor and feel for suction and blow at the port holes while he turned the clutch. Nothing. He was telling me you should feel suction. When I took off the hoses I easily saw dye then. When I did the dye test I used the sniffer too and found with the sniffer a leak at the Expansion Valve I could ever hear it. I realized later that I had the wrong bolts between the valve and condenser (one is longer). I switched them and it seems to have fixed the leaks between the Valve and condenser but the Drier is still leaking and I can hear that one now too.

I will try the defroster next. If tearing apart the dash is involved I'd probably be able to do that. I had a 2016 Honda Fit that I had to tear apart the whole dash to replace the entire wiring harness and that wasn't too bad of a job to do. But I do realize this is an old truck and stuff is gonna be brittle. The furthest I have done for the dash so far is changing the radio in the truck.

Old 04-29-2022, 11:07 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 425 Likes on 364 Posts

Well, if your refrigerant is leaking and you have dye in the system you should find it somewhere. If you cannot find it anywhere from the firewall forward then your last place to look is the evaporator buried behind your dash. You'll need a borescope to shove down your vents for that.

Quick Reply: A/C troubleshooting R134A converted 93 Dakota V8