1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1990 Dakota fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 09:45 AM
Tailes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Dakota fuel pump

Can't find a 1990 fuel pump. Can you use a 1991 fuel pump? Any help appreciated.

Old 09-19-2022, 04:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,201 Likes on 2,953 Posts

What engine?

Old 09-19-2022, 07:36 PM
Tailes
Default 1990 Dakota

1990 Dodge Dakota LE 3.9L V6 Naturally Aspirated

Last edited by Tailes; 09-19-2022 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Fix
Old 09-20-2022, 10:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,201 Likes on 2,953 Posts

Rockauto shows JUST the pump, not the whole module. Go for the Delphi, or A/C delco pump. Do it once, do it right, don't worry about it again.

The following users liked this post:
tndakman (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 11:47 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 425 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Rockauto shows JUST the pump, not the whole module. Go for the Delphi, or A/C delco pump. Do it once, do it right, don't worry about it again.
I second that!

After I replaced my fuel pump the gas came gushing out the top of my tank the next time I filled it up. Turns out the thick gasket that goes around the hole fell inside the tank. It fell in during the install of the new pump. Had to lift the bed again and fish it out to do it right. It's not the easiest thing to get that gasket positioned correctly then the pump lined up properly. Got to pay close attention to orientation and work with nimble fingers. I believe I got a Delphi pump but I'd trust the ACD too. Still works.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:05 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bronze
I second that!

After I replaced my fuel pump the gas came gushing out the top of my tank the next time I filled it up. Turns out the thick gasket that goes around the hole fell inside the tank. It fell in during the install of the new pump. Had to lift the bed again and fish it out to do it right. It's not the easiest thing to get that gasket positioned correctly then the pump lined up properly. Got to pay close attention to orientation and work with nimble fingers. I believe I got a Delphi pump but I'd trust the ACD too. Still works.
They did that same thing on my B250 Ram van...after 3 wrong fuel pumps they finally got the right one and then failed to install the gasket....gasoline running out the top of the tank at the pump....drive back to shop...uh hey guys, you didn't do something right....

They 'forgot' the gasket....

Steve

Old 09-20-2022, 12:15 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by glenlloyd
They did that same thing on my B250 Ram van...after 3 wrong fuel pumps they finally got the right one and then failed to install the gasket....gasoline running out the top of the tank at the pump....drive back to shop...uh hey guys, you didn't do something right....

They 'forgot' the gasket....

Steve
Good grief! Forgetting is worse than what I did. I wont lie, that was not an easy install to get that pump and gasket assembled correctly in the tank. In fact, now that I think about it, I had to go back a third time because the float arm was hitting slightly against the interior tank wall and giving me wacky gauge readings so I had to reorient it again. Got to be very careful when lowering the pump module into the tank with that gasket. It wants to come off and/or twist up. Most of us slobs have sausage fingers, no patience, and zero steadiness. This job (at least on my truck) requires a woman's touch. Gentle, precise, lots of TLC. Then double, triple, quadruple check that the gasket is seated correctly before wrapping it up. And keep that float arm away from the side of the tank interior...not a whole lot of room to find a free path. By the time I got to the third time taking/tilting by bed off I was a pro. Took no time at all. HAHAHAHA!!

The following users liked this post:
glenlloyd (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 12:20 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bronze
Good grief! Forgetting is worse than what I did. I wont lie, that was not an easy install to get that pump and gasket assembled correctly in the tank. In fact, now that I think about it, I had to go back a third time because the float arm was hitting slightly against the interior tank wall and giving me wacky gauge readings so I had to reorient it again. Got to be very careful when lowering the pump module into the tank with that gasket. It wants to come off and/or twist up. Most of us slobs have sausage fingers, no patience, and zero steadiness. This job (at least on my truck) requires a woman's touch. Gentle, precise, lots of TLC. Then double, triple, quadruple check that the gasket is seated correctly before wrapping it up. And keep that float arm away from the side of the tank interior...not a whole lot of room to find a free path. By the time I got to the third time taking/tilting by bed off I was a pro. Took no time at all. HAHAHAHA!!
I stopped taking my van to them because of that...other things they were ok, like general maint, but that fuel pump was the straw.

Steve

Old 09-20-2022, 12:25 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by glenlloyd
I stopped taking my van to them because of that...other things they were ok, like general maint, but that fuel pump was the straw.

Steve
Working on vans can be a PITA.

Old 09-20-2022, 03:06 PM
Tailes
Default 1990 Dakota

I can find the fuel pump everywhere. Can't find the whole module. The one in the truck I have is toast.

Quick Reply: 1990 Dakota fuel pump