1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Ignition actuator rod problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 12:43 AM
kelhaa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition actuator rod problems

Hi! My trucks an 89 Dakota automatic, no tilt wheel. My question is.... Does the actuator rod "click" into the ignition switch? I'm having problems with it falling down, and then when key is turned off it gets stuck behind a bolt, that seems to be pointless, not allowing my key to turn again until I push the rod back into the switch. Thank you in advance.

Old 09-23-2022, 02:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,201 Likes on 2,953 Posts

Isn't the switch itself adjustable on it's mounts?? can you just loosen it up, slide it up a bit, to keep the rod captured? Is the rod bent? Switch too stiff??

Old 09-23-2022, 06:57 PM
kelhaa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Actuator rod.

It seems to only move forward and backwards. It seems like it needs to be lower to keep the rod in. If the rod is resting on that bolt it is ok. I moved it as far forward as I could to try to keep it on that bolt when the switch is activated but it is not far enough. I think if I jb weld a wing nut on the column it will give it a "trough" to slide in. The switch is new and I don't believe the rod is bent any more than it should be.

Quick Reply: Ignition actuator rod problems