1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Anyone convert 94+ non-return fuel system to earlier type with return?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 12:34 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Anyone convert 94+ non-return fuel system to earlier type with return?

Hey all, considering modifying my fuel system on the 94. As many of you 94-96 owners know you don't have a fuel filter except for the one in the tank...at least 94/5 are this way, and that's never been to my liking very much. This is also a single pipe system with no return either. At any rate I'm considering swapping back to a 93 system that employs a fuel filter outside the tank on the frame rail and has a fuel return line with it.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this, I know Ralph talked about it a few years back...curious if anyone else has done this.

Steve

Old 09-24-2022, 01:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,206 Likes on 2,958 Posts

The older systems for the TBI systems, also operated at a significantly lower pressure. The fuel tank on the pump module in the tank is HUGE, compared to the external fellers. Don't recall EVER seeing anyone have a filter problem..... and it gets changed when you change the pump in any event. (I have seen a fair few pump failures, but, that's par for the course.)

The returnless system works fairly well, but, gotta admit, I liked the return style systems better... having an external regulator was convenient, if you wanted to install an adjustable feller. (GM TPI for the most part.) Of course, you will spend a fair amount of money, for no appreciable gain....

The following users liked this post:
glenlloyd (09-24-2022)

Quick Reply: Anyone convert 94+ non-return fuel system to earlier type with return?