1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel pump module alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 03:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by glenlloyd
I don't see how it "provides a buffer for when you're low on fuel" if it never drains down to where the pickup is...which is at the bottom of the pump assembly outside of where the fuel is being retained.

I can understand the argument for 'cooling' the pump, but look at all the other vehicles that have existed with these kinds of electrical fuel pumps but without the same containment housing for keeping fuel over the pump...and I have to ask is it really necessary or ever been proven necessary?

That I have a working gauge is good...that it's unclear why alignment information isn't easier to come by...not sure. From now on though the rule is to make sure the pump housing flat side is parallel with the side of the tank, and that's honestly all you need to know.

Steve
The tank is fairly long, so, when you get down to the last few gallons, it is downright easy for all the gas to slosh away from the pump pickup. Especially on hard acceleration/braking....

Quick Reply: Fuel pump module alignment?