1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

vehicle swerving

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 05:41 PM
Name#95
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vehicle swerving

94 Dakota LST 5.2ltr 4WD Auto trans: When driving at about 35mph the vehicle suddenly swerved to the right. I turned the steering wheel, a bit harder than normal, to get back to going straight. A few blocks later the vehicle swerved to the left. I got home, Jacked up front end and with tires off could find nothing loose. The local (Les Schwab) tire center mechanic checked out everything in front end suspension and steering and found nothing out of order. Could the vehicle swerve both ways because of a malfunction in the power steering pump (the only thing he couldn't check out) or some other reason? Tires inflated properly with no indication of unusual wear. Front brakes are good but rear could be in need of replacing as they have started to squeel. Have had no problems in the last 15 miles of driving without exceeding 35 mph. Any ideas? Thanks, #95
P.S. With the right front jacked up with the tire about an inch off the ground I turned the steering wheel to the left to get the wheels straight. At about a qurter turn on the wheel there was a sharp clank and the tire was now back to touching the ground. The jack was not the problem.

Last edited by Name#95; 11-08-2022 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-08-2022, 06:12 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Name#95
94 Dakota LST 5.2ltr 4WD Auto trans: When driving at about 35mph the vehicle suddenly swerved to the right. I turned the steering wheel, a bit harder than normal, to get back to going straight. A few blocks later the vehicle swerved to the left. I got home, Jacked up front end and with tires off could find nothing loose. The local (Les Schwab) tire center mechanic checked out everything in front end suspension and steering and found nothing out of order. Could the vehicle swerve both ways because of a malfunction in the power steering pump (the only thing he couldn't check out) or some other reason? Tires inflated properly with no indication of unusual wear. Front brakes are good but rear could be in need of replacing as they have started to squeel. Have had no problems in the last 15 miles of driving without exceeding 35 mph. Any ideas? Thanks, #95
P.S. With the right front jacked up with the tire about an inch off the ground I turned the steering wheel to the left to get the wheels straight. At about a qurter turn on the wheel there was a sharp clank and the tire was now back to touching the ground. The jack was not the problem.

Ooh! Bad mojo there! It should NOT shift while supported. A failure in the P.S. pump would cost you power assist, but not make it swerve. Did he check your track bar? Something is definitely binding.

Old 11-08-2022, 06:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,201 Likes on 2,953 Posts

Buddy of mine had a Mercury Comet.... yeah, long time ago.... and that thing would spin the steering wheel to the lock when you first started it up......

Old 11-11-2022, 10:15 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Here is a page from the FSM to give you an idea what the front end should look like. I highlighted the 4WD. The pic on the laeft is 2WD

Old 11-12-2022, 06:18 PM
Name#95
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have read all replies...still working on finding the cause. Thanks

Quick Reply: vehicle swerving