1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

High idle, no temp reading

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 04:30 AM
Princess_Kota
Amateur
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default High idle, no temp reading

Upon startup my '89 3.9L 4x4 idles at about 1500-2000 rpm and almost sounds like a diesel. It jumps up a little bit a couple times about 10 seconds in. Could this be a dirty IAC valve? If the idle needs to be adjusted, I could use a couple quick pointers.

I have also noticed the temperature does not go up at all on the gauge cluster. I mostly just drive the truck half an hour to work when the roads are bad here in SW OH, and sometimes after I finish a repair to make sure an issue is fixed. I have interior partially taken apart right now so I may check the connection for corrosion later.

Little bit of history on the truck: It was a farm truck in SE KY for a number of years, sat for 6 years and has been mine since 2020. No rust at all on the body but there was a lot on the frame due to dirt and moss sitting in there from farm use. I checked with a magnet months ago and the plenum gasket has been replaced and there was no oil in there.

I have downloaded a manual for a different year so I am able to reference pages from that if need be.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

89 shouldn't have the plenum issue. Yours should be throttle body injection....

There is a one wire sensor for the temp gauge in the dash. Should be on the passenger side of the front coolant crossover in the intake.

Cleaning the IAC well sure won't hurt.

The following users liked this post:
Princess_Kota (01-10-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 02:51 PM
Princess_Kota
Amateur
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for your reply!

Quick Reply: High idle, no temp reading