1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

What kind of coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 12:03 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 577 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Princess_Kota
'89 with the LA-derived V6. Forget the exact name of it, it's the 3.9.

It's just the 3.9 V-6. Pretty good engine and plenty powerful for a small truck like a Dakota. The 1987 was unto itself. A one year only offering. 1986 was the slant 6 and the 1988 was fuel injected with roller rocker. That ran through 1991. In '92 the Magnum engines were introduced. They are based on the LA, but heavily redesigned. I tried to get a '92 with the Magnum but they were all gone and the '93 models were in. I got one and drove the wheels off it. In 150,000 miles the only major repair was a steering rack. Otherwise just maintenance.

The following users liked this post:
bronze (02-19-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 12:56 PM
Princess_Kota
Amateur
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
It's just the 3.9 V-6. Pretty good engine and plenty powerful for a small truck like a Dakota. The 1987 was unto itself. A one year only offering. 1986 was the slant 6 and the 1988 was fuel injected with roller rocker. That ran through 1991. In '92 the Magnum engines were introduced. They are based on the LA, but heavily redesigned. I tried to get a '92 with the Magnum but they were all gone and the '93 models were in. I got one and drove the wheels off it. In 150,000 miles the only major repair was a steering rack. Otherwise just maintenance.
What killed the truck? 150k is not that many miles to destroy a good truck imo. Though I am not sure if mine will last to that point because it was a farm truck in hilly Appalachia before I got it. I've found some questionable previous work done on it as well. You must have done a lot of work in it or the corrosion got it.

A guy I worked with on an overtime shift had a first gen Dakota just the same as mine, long bed 4wd. He used it for construction and overloaded it all the time, it caught up with him and broke the transmission.

Old 02-19-2023, 02:46 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by Princess_Kota
What killed the truck? 150k is not that many miles to destroy a good truck imo. Though I am not sure if mine will last to that point because it was a farm truck in hilly Appalachia before I got it. I've found some questionable previous work done on it as well. You must have done a lot of work in it or the corrosion got it.

A guy I worked with on an overtime shift had a first gen Dakota just the same as mine, long bed 4wd. He used it for construction and overloaded it all the time, it caught up with him and broke the transmission.

Nothing killed the truck, I traded it in on a 2001 XJ Cherokee. The gal I was dating at the time had three kids so 5 people in a standard cab wasn't going to work. We were cramped in the Cherokee, but it worked. The Dakota looked and ran as good when I sold it as it did when I bought it. They had trouble with paint falling off back then but even the red paint was still glossy when I sold it. It had rock pecks on the front but I rarely washed it and I think all the dirt protected the paint. We had a blow out in a still tower where I worked and after I got all the dirt off, there wasn't any light ends (Distillate waste oil) on it. It never got to the paint. A friend had a blue one he bought about the same time. Garage kept and washed regularly and al the paint fell off.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 02-20-2023 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-19-2023, 05:18 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 425 Likes on 364 Posts

Noting killed the truck, I traded it in on a 2001 XJ Cherokee. The gal I was dating at the time had three kids so 5 people in a standard cab wasn't going to work. We were cramped in the Cherokee, but it worked. The Dakota looked and ran as good when I sold it as it did when I bought it. They had trouble with paint falling off back then but even the red paint was still glossy when I sold it. It had rock pecks on the front but I rarely washed it and I think all the dirt protected the paint. We had a blow out in a still tower where I worked and after I got all the dirt off, there wasn't any light ends (Distillate waste oil) on it. It never got to the paint. A friend had a blue one he bought about the same time. Garage kept and washed regularly and al the paint fell off.
Geez, the paint on my '93 has been excellent. The right fender and door were repainted (deer accident and winter accident respectively) and the tan on the left side from the door back was repainted by me last year (a mail box jumped out and scratched the heck out of it). It is garage kept. But that said the clear coat on the roof is shot and partially shot on the hood. Hasn't ate the paint yet but that's next. I'll probably paint that this year.

Old 02-20-2023, 07:26 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by bronze
Geez, the paint on my '93 has been excellent. The right fender and door were repainted (deer accident and winter accident respectively) and the tan on the left side from the door back was repainted by me last year (a mail box jumped out and scratched the heck out of it). It is garage kept. But that said the clear coat on the roof is shot and partially shot on the hood. Hasn't ate the paint yet but that's next. I'll probably paint that this year.

1993 is when they found out the new paint process that didn't requires as much prep, really did need it. Everybody had paint issues that year thanks to the EPA. I think '93, especially the late '93 models had better paint.

Old 02-20-2023, 08:07 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

1993 is when they found out the new paint process that didn't requires as much prep, really did need it. Everybody had paint issues that year thanks to the EPA. I think '93, especially the late '93 models had better paint.
My '93 Dakota was one of the last six they had on their lot. They were delivering the new '94 Rams (the first year they had those cool looking new fender designs) as I was looking at my Dakota in the lot. So I suspect I had a late model '93. Mine has that e-coat stuff on it or whatever it is. I'll get a paint chip and there's like a white ceramic-like coating underneath. The chips never reach the metal. I have always been impressed with the paint job on my Dakota. Sounds like I got lucky.

Old 02-20-2023, 10:39 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by bronze
My '93 Dakota was one of the last six they had on their lot. They were delivering the new '94 Rams (the first year they had those cool looking new fender designs) as I was looking at my Dakota in the lot. So I suspect I had a late model '93. Mine has that e-coat stuff on it or whatever it is. I'll get a paint chip and there's like a white ceramic-like coating underneath. The chips never reach the metal. I have always been impressed with the paint job on my Dakota. Sounds like I got lucky.

My ;93 had a build date in late February of '93 so it was a late production unit.

Old 02-21-2023, 09:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,224 Likes on 2,974 Posts

GM had paint problems with their late 80's, early 90's trucks. Clearcoat would peel within two years......

Old 02-21-2023, 08:45 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
GM had paint problems with their late 80's, early 90's trucks. Clearcoat would peel within two years......

GM has issues with their metallic paints back in the early 1970's. In 1988 all companies used the new process. Ford, GM, Chrysler even some imports. Starting with white but after a year or so, it was all colors.

Old 02-22-2023, 02:47 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Didn't help when they went to low VOC back in late 80's, early 90s whenever that was.

Quick Reply: What kind of coolant?