1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 02:52 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by bronze
Well, I shoulda said I’m not the OP. I was just curious about these ground straps. Just trying to learn.

Grounds can be a wire mesh or a wire. Here's a photo of two auxiliary grounds on my '96 Rm 1500. I'm holding two wires that go from the firewall to a valve cover bolt on the cylinder head.

It's not the greatest picture but it may give you an idea. They can be anywhere and even the same vehicle but with different equipment might be different.

The following users liked this post:
bronze (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 02:54 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by coiled.bones
The truck doesn't have a safety switch, it will turn over in any gear. I feel like a plank, but what the problem was the clamp on the battery terminal wasn't tight enough to give the power wire to the starter a good enough connection. I took it apart and cleaned it up and it started right up.

Why no safety switch? I remember before those were standard and there's a reason they are there.

Old 08-02-2023, 03:22 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 437 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Grounds can be a wire mesh or a wire. Here's a photo of two auxiliary grounds on my '96 Rm 1500. I'm holding two wires that go from the firewall to a valve cover bolt on the cylinder head.

It's not the greatest picture but it may give you an idea. They can be anywhere and even the same vehicle but with different equipment might be different.
Hmmm, I'll have to look on my '93 Dak. Never noticed anything like that before. I know mine are not attached to the valve covers cuz I replaced the gaskets 1.5 years ago. Those are not wimpy wires...more like cables from what i can tell. (Whatever the difference is) Thx for the pix.

Old 08-02-2023, 04:36 PM
coiled.bones
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why no safety switch? I remember before those were standard and there's a reason they are there.
It was used as a farm truck, I don't know if it was taken out by a previous owner or just never came with one. It's pretty bare bones, even the cigarette lighter was covered up.

I know it's not healthy, but I've had to use the starter in low range to crawl it across a parking lot because it wouldn't fire, then 40 minutes later it started like nothing was ever wrong.

Old 08-02-2023, 04:38 PM
coiled.bones
Amateur

Originally Posted by bronze
Hmmm, I'll have to look on my '93 Dak. Never noticed anything like that before. I know mine are not attached to the valve covers cuz I replaced the gaskets 1.5 years ago. Those are not wimpy wires...more like cables from what i can tell. (Whatever the difference is) Thx for the pix.
I did the gaskets on my valve covers 1.5-2 years ago and there wasn't any ground straps that I remember taking off.

Old 08-02-2023, 04:41 PM
coiled.bones
Amateur

I remember I had a 1988 Ford F-250, had the 7.3 with a 5 speed, and it didn't have a safety switch either. Almost ran myself over a couple times because I'd have to jump the solenoid. I after a couple times I made sure to just park on a flat surface since the park brake didn't work very well.

Old 08-02-2023, 06:12 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by coiled.bones
It was used as a farm truck, I don't know if it was taken out by a previous owner or just never came with one. It's pretty bare bones, even the cigarette lighter was covered up.

I know it's not healthy, but I've had to use the starter in low range to crawl it across a parking lot because it wouldn't fire, then 40 minutes later it started like nothing was ever wrong.

You probably have one but it's bad and the previous owner bypassed it. A manual transmission has a switch on the clutch pedal. There again, it may have gone bad and was bypassed. I think both switches have been standard since the mid to late 1950's.

Quick Reply: Starting Issues