1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 12:47 PM
coiled.bones
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Starting Issues

I've recently replaced the starter in my '88 Dakota V6 4x4 because it wouldn't turn the engine over. After replacing the starter, the truck would start as usual. I used it for moving and the next morning it would no longer start. There would be a loud click that would come from the soloniod and that's all it would do. If it was bump started, it would run as usual. The battery and alternator are good. The starter was replaced about a week ago, and I just replaced the starter relay. With the new relay it still produces the same single loud click and doesn't turn over. I tried to jump the two terminals on the starter itself, but I don't think it made good enough contact because it just clicked once and wouldn't do anything even after trying again. Does it sound like I got a bad starter or is there something else that could be causing this?

Old 08-01-2023, 02:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

That does sound like a bad starter... check the connections first though, just to be sure.

The following users liked this post:
coiled.bones (08-01-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 02:10 PM
coiled.bones
Amateur

The connections on the starter or the relay?

Old 08-01-2023, 03:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Main power feed to the starter itself.

The following users liked this post:
coiled.bones (08-01-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 10:16 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by coiled.bones
I've recently replaced the starter in my '88 Dakota V6 4x4 because it wouldn't turn the engine over. After replacing the starter, the truck would start as usual. I used it for moving and the next morning it would no longer start. There would be a loud click that would come from the soloniod and that's all it would do. If it was bump started, it would run as usual. The battery and alternator are good. The starter was replaced about a week ago, and I just replaced the starter relay. With the new relay it still produces the same single loud click and doesn't turn over. I tried to jump the two terminals on the starter itself, but I don't think it made good enough contact because it just clicked once and wouldn't do anything even after trying again. Does it sound like I got a bad starter or is there something else that could be causing this?

Before you do anything, try starting it in neutral. The safety switch on my '97 would sometimes work and sometimes not. It's a little easier to replace than the starter as well as a little cheaper. My switch was bad and it puked about a pint of fluid when I replaced it but I've had no starting issues since then. If yours is original, it may just be worn out. If the switch is good;

The starter is one of the most power hungry systems on your truck. I'd check all the grounds. Not just at the battery but at the engine. there should be one large ground wire from the block to the battery. There will probably be a smaller one going to the terminal with a small wire to the body or fender. Lastly, there should be one or two ground straps from the engine to the firewall. I've got my '96 Ram torn down right now and there are three on it along with the battery wires. If all the grounds are good with no corrosion at the frame, then I'd pull the starter and bench test it.

I'd check the simple and cheap switch first though.

Old 08-01-2023, 10:40 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 436 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch;[url=tel:3571458
3571458[/url]]Before you do anything, try starting it in neutral. The safety switch on my '97 would sometimes work and sometimes not. It's a little easier to replace than the starter as well as a little cheaper. My switch was bad and it puked about a pint of fluid when I replaced it but I've had no starting issues since then. If yours is original, it may just be worn out. If the switch is good;

The starter is one of the most power hungry systems on your truck. I'd check all the grounds. Not just at the battery but at the engine. there should be one large ground wire from the block to the battery. There will probably be a smaller one going to the terminal with a small wire to the body or fender. Lastly, there should be one or two ground straps from the engine to the firewall. I've got my '96 Ram torn down right now and there are three on it along with the battery wires. If all the grounds are good with no corrosion at the frame, then I'd pull the starter and bench test it.

Curious. When you say ground strap, what are we talking? Is it a braided strap? How large. Good place to start looking? I have a ‘93 Dakota. 5.2L.

Old 08-01-2023, 10:53 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by bronze
Curious. When you say ground strap, what are we talking? Is it a braided strap? How large. Good place to start looking? I have a ‘93 Dakota. 5.2L.

The main ground is a black cable with a smaller gauge wire off to the fender. Two of the ground straps on my '96 are medium gauge wires. There is also a braided strap on the other side of the engine going to the firewall. Thinking about it, I suspect your neutral safety switch is on its way out.

Old 08-01-2023, 11:00 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 436 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch;[url=tel:3571462
3571462[/url]]The main ground is a black cable with a smaller gauge wire off to the fender. Two of the ground straps on my '96 are medium gauge wires. There is also a braided strap on the other side of the engine going to the firewall. Thinking about it, I suspect your neutral safety switch is on its way out.
Well, I shoulda said I’m not the OP. I was just curious about these ground straps. Just trying to learn.

Old 08-02-2023, 01:30 PM
coiled.bones
Amateur

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Before you do anything, try starting it in neutral. The safety switch on my '97 would sometimes work and sometimes not. It's a little easier to replace than the starter as well as a little cheaper. My switch was bad and it puked about a pint of fluid when I replaced it but I've had no starting issues since then. If yours is original, it may just be worn out. If the switch is good;

The truck doesn't have a safety switch, it will turn over in any gear. I feel like a plank, but what the problem was the clamp on the battery terminal wasn't tight enough to give the power wire to the starter a good enough connection. I took it apart and cleaned it up and it started right up.

Old 08-02-2023, 01:31 PM
coiled.bones
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Main power feed to the starter itself.

This was the issue and I feel like a plank for not checking the connections. But I cleaned up the terminal and the clamp and it's working as it should.

Quick Reply: Starting Issues