1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Weird running issues... please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 02:39 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 424 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
MPG's used to bug me a lot. When I got this thing v6, the gas gauge did not work and I ran out of gas after just over 150 miles on a 22 gallon tank. That worked out to about 7mpg. I did the plenum also fixed gauge and took a long drive using up a full tank on the hwy and got 19mpg's. I only do hwy about 5 miles or so and mainly in town driving since and I get 15ish sometimes less. There was a guy on here who used to post that he got 23mpg. I don't remember if he had the v6 or v8.
My neighbor had exact same year Dakota as mine (1993) except his was standard cab with 3.9. I think he told me he was getting only 15 mpg too. Believe I heard others on this thread say the same thing. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Old 02-21-2024, 04:27 PM
89sportboi
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good news for you then.
I was looking at the FAQ section and notice (maybe I'm misremembering?) there is no longer a post about the plenum leak issue. Oil at the bottom of the intake if you look down the TB is the one of the tells. There was a list if the symptoms I do not remember. It was what was wrong with mine when I got it.
Interesting.... So essentially just the the lower intake gaskets? my plugs didn't look fouled or anything when I pulled a couple of em but if the plenum has issues with that it couldn't hurt to replace to play it safe.

Old 02-21-2024, 04:33 PM
89sportboi
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bronze
My neighbor had exact same year Dakota as mine (1993) except his was standard cab with 3.9. I think he told me he was getting only 15 mpg too. Believe I heard others on this thread say the same thing. Doesn't make much sense to me.
MPG's used to bug me a lot. When I got this thing v6, the gas gauge did not work and I ran out of gas after just over 150 miles on a 22 gallon tank. That worked out to about 7mpg. I did the plenum also fixed gauge and took a long drive using up a full tank on the hwy and got 19mpg's. I only do hwy about 5 miles or so and mainly in town driving since and I get 15ish sometimes less. There was a guy on here who used to post that he got 23mpg. I don't remember if he had the v6 or v8.
Yeah the guy I got mine from said he got 15 with mixed driving, and my first tank (which was mostly city driving) I got about the same. One thing I know for sure from following a couple TBI builds for chevys is that both chevy and dodge's TBI systems were verrrry temperamental to say the least. I know if you get them absolutely perfect and dialed you can get pretty decent MPG, sometimes even better than EPA numbers but if one thing is wrong the "house of cards" falls over pretty quick. Same with running issues as I am dealing with now haha

Old 02-21-2024, 06:54 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

I did the Hughes Engines kit for my plenum. I have seen other post since that the gasket issue shouldn't be happening because of the alleged different expansion rates of the steel plate plenum and the Aluminum intake barrel. If that is so then the problem may be due to poorly installed gaskets at the factory. Anyway either way just do the gasket, or get a kit which adds in an alum plate and that issue is solved. I had to get one set of longer bolts with the kit, extra. I don't remember if the intake to block bolts needed to be longer too. If you do a kit they should be able to tell you.
I eventually put all new sensors in mine and even at one point just replaced all of the fuses just because it is old.

Old 02-21-2024, 06:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

I did the Hughes Engines kit for my plenum. I have seen other post since that the gasket issue shouldn't be happening because of the alleged different expansion rates of the steel plate plenum and the Aluminum intake barrel. If that is so then the problem may be due to poorly installed gaskets at the factory. Anyway either way just do the gasket, or get a kit which adds in an alum plate and that issue is solved. I had to get one set of longer bolts with the kit, extra. I don't remember if the intake to block bolts needed to be longer too. If you do a kit they should be able to tell you.
I eventually put all new sensors in mine and even at one point just replaced all of the fuses just because it is old.
I did the math once upon a time, and the difference in expansion between the two was measured in ten-thousandths of an inch. Different metals ain't the problem, the bolt from the factory are too long, and the gasket compresses over time, then blow out, and leaks.

Quick Reply: Weird running issues... please help!