1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1995 Dakota body swap 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 09:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Wow. That got HOT! Looks like the valve covers melted some as well?

Have they determined a cause yet? Was it the battery charger?

Old 06-26-2024, 11:04 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Looking at that beautiful engine knowing what it meant to you and how fortunate you were to get it is enough to make a grown man cry.

The following users liked this post:
tndakman (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 12:47 AM
TheSneeze
Veteran
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Investigation is ongoing. It has been three weeks since they took the evidence they needed for forensic examination. They said it could take up to two months, and they may never know the exact cause. I really hope they do, though. One thing for sure, shop 2.0 will have all corded power tools. No lithium **** in my shop, anymore. The wife wants a hybrid car. In 35 years of marriage, this will end up being our biggest argument. I don't want anything lithium near my property. At least not any bigger than a cell phone, that is...

Old 06-27-2024, 12:57 AM
TheSneeze
Veteran

The first round of steel recycling leaves tomorrow.

Weld table
two engine stands
Drill Mill
floor standing drill press
2 cylinder 60 gal air compressor
80 gal accumulator tank
20 ton shop press
Chimney
Engine hoist
Dodge 8.25 rear end
Motorcycle lift

Old 06-27-2024, 01:07 AM
TheSneeze
Veteran

If you look close, the bell housing completely melted away, and the trans disconnected from the back of the block. And yes, some holes melted through the valve covers. The fire department told me the building got to 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

Old 06-27-2024, 08:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Toasty warm.....

You are trashing the rear diff? I wouldn't expect heat to have done much damage to it.....

Old 06-27-2024, 10:32 AM
TheSneeze
Veteran

It was outside the shop, and not affected by the fire. It was sand blasted clean, so the water dumped on the fire covered it with surface rust. I have had it up for sale for months with no interest generated. I have another one in my 2nd donor truck, and won't be using that one either. I will be using a Ford 8.8 LSD rear end for the project. At this point, I need to clear everything away from the outside of the building in preparation for the building demolition. So, it got tossed onto the scrap trailer. I can't ship it, and being in a fairly remote area is limiting the chances of it being sold.

Old 06-27-2024, 10:44 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSneeze
Investigation is ongoing. It has been three weeks since they took the evidence they needed for forensic examination. They said it could take up to two months, and they may never know the exact cause. I really hope they do, though. One thing for sure, shop 2.0 will have all corded power tools. No lithium **** in my shop, anymore. The wife wants a hybrid car. In 35 years of marriage, this will end up being our biggest argument. I don't want anything lithium near my property. At least not any bigger than a cell phone, that is...
Even if they cannot pinpoint the cause perhaps they can give us the several possibilities. Even that info would be useful.

Guessing you married up (what husband hasn't?), but I'm with you on this one.

Old 06-27-2024, 11:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by TheSneeze
It was outside the shop, and not affected by the fire. It was sand blasted clean, so the water dumped on the fire covered it with surface rust. I have had it up for sale for months with no interest generated. I have another one in my 2nd donor truck, and won't be using that one either. I will be using a Ford 8.8 LSD rear end for the project. At this point, I need to clear everything away from the outside of the building in preparation for the building demolition. So, it got tossed onto the scrap trailer. I can't ship it, and being in a fairly remote area is limiting the chances of it being sold.
Familiar with that.... I am within spittin' distance of Detroit, and a few other rather large cities, so, just about anything I listed, sold pretty quick. Even some of the really odd and strange stuff, like front/rear suspension from a Jaguar XJ12.....

Old 06-27-2024, 02:25 PM
TheSneeze
Veteran

2500 lbs of scrapped shop equipment netted me $150 at the recycle yard. Better than nothing, I guess...

Quick Reply: 1995 Dakota body swap 2.0