1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 Dakota 5.2L LE needs an ECM

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 11:36 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by co.45
Well, I broke down and ordered the ECM/PCM from an EBay source. Used but with the standard 30 day return policy. Haven't got it yet but will post results when I do. My current plan is if the replacement works I will then send my original computer in somewhere for repair and keep it as a backup. Anyone have a "good" experience with one of the rebuilders?
There is no iron clad, problem-free solution for a PCM replacement. You're under a bit of risk no matter what you do. Your best defense is to buy one from a place that has some credibility with return options. It appears this is what you did. As for rebuilding your current PCM, that is a bit of hit and miss. Mine could not be rebuilt. The microprocessor wigged out and that component could not be replaced. So if you want to send your current PCM in for rebuilding, be sure you understand and agree to the terms. What will they charge you if they determine it cannot be rebuilt. What is the warranty, etc..

Here is another thing to consider if you get yours rebuilt. You wont know if it works properly unless you install it back in your truck and try it. I would recommend doing that. Fortunately it is not hard to swap out PCMs. Just go easy on that plug and harness. Lots of wires jammed in there.

I will give you the name of the place I had look at my PCM. Because it could not be fixed, I ended up buying another PCM from them. The first one they sent did not work at all. Truck would not even start. The second one they sent worked perfectly fine except the voltage regulator in it did not work so I bypassed it with an external voltage regulator. I actually prefer the external anyway. The company offered to have me send it back and they would replace it with another one. I declined and kept the second one. It's still in my truck and working fine. The guy I spoke with (Adam) wasn't the most charming fella around but he wasn't bad either. He took my calls and kept working with me until I was satisfied so there's that. Just be sure you understand all the terms before selecting a rebuilder. Your call.

Module Experts
Jacksonville, FL.
https://moduleexperts.com/

The following users liked this post:
tndakman (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 07:50 PM
co.45
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reference Bronze. I did receive the ECM this afternoon and installed it almost immediately. Fired right up, let it run for a few minutes then drove it around the neighborhood for a few miles to let the electronics warm up a bit. No problems so far. I may have lucked out on the used computer. Now to try and get the original one repaired. If it is repairable I will probably install it again and shelve the ebay computer as the spare. Now I guess she deserves a full tuneup and fluids change. This trucks been super dependable and I'm hoping it keeps going for a lot longer. I love my Dakota!

Old 06-26-2024, 11:00 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by co.45
Thanks for the reference Bronze. I did receive the ECM this afternoon and installed it almost immediately. Fired right up, let it run for a few minutes then drove it around the neighborhood for a few miles to let the electronics warm up a bit. No problems so far. I may have lucked out on the used computer. Now to try and get the original one repaired. If it is repairable I will probably install it again and shelve the ebay computer as the spare. Now I guess she deserves a full tuneup and fluids change. This trucks been super dependable and I'm hoping it keeps going for a lot longer. I love my Dakota!
That’s great news! Good luck with the rebuild. Hopefully it is rebuildable. Check back in to let us know.

Quick Reply: 93 Dakota 5.2L LE needs an ECM