1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1987 Dodge Dakota - Early edition - V6 - Won't Idle - End of the line?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2024, 09:30 PM
3rdturnfence
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Dodge Dakota - Early edition - V6 - Won't Idle - End of the line?

Hi.

I have a 1987 Dodge Dakota standard cab. It has the early R40319 Holley carburetor on the 3.9 V6. It will not idle.

I have reviewed multiple sources of information both online and at any other places, or people that I can think of.

I've cleaned it and put a kit in it, replaced the vacuum lines, fuel filter, EGR, PCV, oxygen sensor and idle solenoid.

That's just what I remembered to write down. I'm done trying to make it run with the current carb.

I know the original Holley R40319, was followed by the 2280 and 6280, but all of these carbs are impossible to find.

My question is, does anyone else, or Holley even, make a carb that fits this motor, or is it the end of the line for my Dakota?

Thank you.

Old Today, 12:17 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I have a 87 as well.
The 87 used the 6280 carb, which was the updated 2280......
It has a electric power valve. And it goes bad quite often.
I believe you have 2 options.
1. Cut one of the leads going to the power valve. They are 2 black wires that go in the top of the carb. This will cause it to run a little richer, but on mine it wasnt bad.
I ran mine that way for a few years.
2. I believe you could use a 2280 carb from a earlier dodge.

As you know, parts are hard to get for the 87. Its a one year only carb design.
I ended up going with a different motor all together.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

Old Today, 01:23 PM
3rdturnfence

Thank you for the response. I rebuilding 6280 but I've realized that I've lost a ball - pump discharge part that sits on top of the ball bearing (???) that is in the carb so I don't expect very good results. I eliminated the oxygen feedback solenoid and the external solenoid since it wasn't doing anything anyway.

If as I suspect it still doesn't idle, I'm going to try and find a 2280. Would a Carter work as well?

Is there a possibility that the timing chain is so worn that it is the cause of the problem?

What engine did you go with?

Again I thank you very much for your response.

Old Today, 02:40 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I dont know on the carter. but I would think as long as bolt pattern is right, linkage is ok, jetting is close, it would be ok.
Have you seen these chinese knock offs of the 2280? https://www.ebay.com/itm/11611495200...3ABFBMptiemKNk
I had considered one of them several years ago.
The timing chain on a dodge is a weak link IMO and the v6 is worse then the V8. How many miles does it have?
I had problems with the pick up inside the distributor going bad twice on mine, but it just flat out died and would not start until it cooled down.
I put a 2000 5.9 magnum, but I converted it to a carbed intake, 670 holley, and a hei distributor.

Old Today, 04:00 PM
3rdturnfence

I looked at those but thought because they said Carter, they may not work on the 3.9.

Truck has an unknow number of miles. Odometer reads 40k but the drivers seat is sagged.

I thought I remembered something that was said on a response to the issue somewhere online that the timing chain can be an issue and cause the idle issue. Then a Dodge guy asked me if I'd checked it. So.....

Quick Reply: 1987 Dodge Dakota - Early edition - V6 - Won't Idle - End of the line?