1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Need help wiring to accessory power switch in 92 dak

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 02:27 AM
drenchedinfilth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help wiring to accessory power switch in 92 dak

I need to hook my stereo & amp to a power switch so that itll go off and on with the ignition, but I have no idea where to even start looking for the wire i need... dont know what im doing... lol would appreciate any help.

Old 05-08-2006, 03:07 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Need help wiring to accessory power switch in 92 dak

This info is coming from a 1996 Dakota, but, the information probably won't vary any if you have a previous year.
In the systems from Dodge, there are two wire connectors on the back of the radio. A black and a gray.
Essentials: On the gray connector, the pink wire is for the stero memory, and the red and white wire is for the power when the ignition is in the on position.

Gray connector:
brown and red: left door negative
dark blue and red: right door negative
black and yellow: park lamp switch output (your feed for when the headlights are turned on)
orange: fused panel lamps dimmer switch control (dimmer input for when headlights are turned on, when you dim the guage lights)
red white: fused ignition switch output (power when key is on accesory/run)
pink: fused b+ (memory)

Black connector:
dark green and red: 12 volt output (wire might be there, but is only applicable to premium radio only)
brown and yellow: left rear positive
dark blue and white: right rear positive
dark green: left door positive
violet (purple): right door positive
brown and light blue: left rear negative
dark blue and orange: right rear negative

Old 05-09-2006, 03:49 AM
justin1635
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need help wiring to accessory power switch in 92 dak

tell me more about what you need to do. that wiring diagram is just a standard dodge head unit readout.

from what i gather, you want to install an amp for your stereo, but be able to turn it off with a switch?

if you have an aftermarket head unit, youd just need to hookup the remote amp line and turn it off from the deck.

if you wanna cut power entirely, your gonna be a heavy gauge wire block, depending on the amp size, anything from 400+ watts will require minimum 2/4 gauge wire.

and a heavy watt/current switch.

Quick Reply: Need help wiring to accessory power switch in 92 dak