1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Help truck died...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 05:40 AM
Big1onaGrizz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help truck died...

Hey, I'm new to this forum, I do however belong to others for my truck. Here's the deal. My son called me tonight (I'm at work) to let me know his truck died while he was driving. He let off the gas for another car to turn, then went to get back into it and the truck had died. Says he has gas, but now the truck will turn over but will not start. I've thought fuel filter, coil, maybe even the computer not really sure if it has one though. Any other idea's? I'm trying to get a game plan as what to do first. It seems like this crap always happens when I have to work....... Please help a fellow Mopar man out.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:29 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Help truck died...

According to MSN Autos, "A common problem on this vehicle is failure of the Battery Feed Wire to the fuel pump and ASD relay... (which will) will prevent the vehicle from starting."

The fuel pump relay, by it's name, provides power to the fuel pump. The PCM provides the ground for the fuel pump relay.
The ASD (automatic shut down relay) is used to power the oxygen senser heater elements, ignition coil, generator field winding, and fuel injectors. The PCM provides the ground for the ASD.

Naturally, if these relays do not work, the truck will not be able to start.

Another possibility is the crankshaft position sensor. The service manual for my 1996 says, "If the PCM does not recieve a crankshaft position sensor signal withink 3 seconds of cranking the engine, it will shut down the fuel injection system."

Supposedly, you can connect an ohmmeter to the crank sensor to see if its good. You can definitly do a test of the ASD and fuel pump relays to see if they are good. I posted here (post #2) some steps to test various things.

Hope this helps you. If you need more info, or, if this solves the problem, post back.

*edit* You can also run the computer diagnositc, as referenced here, however, it seems on these older vehicles (OBD I) the 'puter isn't too keen on picking things up.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:11 AM
Big1onaGrizz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help truck died...

Thanks for the info.... Got the truck running today. Never would've thought it but it was the rotor button. It's contact had broken off quick replacement and my son was off again. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Help truck died...