1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

need motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 05:31 PM
87dakota4cyl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need motor

I have an '87, with the 4cyl and a 5 speed - 2wd. Picked up the truck for $100... so it's not surprising that the truck is in need of some serious work. I want to know what motors will fit in the truck, with minimal cutting/grinding... I know the 3.9 will fit as it's also in the truck, and I would imagine that some of the Jeep motors might fit as well... but that's where all your help comes in! What will fit, and what won't, with what tranny type, etc.

I appreciate all of you help in advance!

Gord

Old 09-10-2006, 10:34 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: need motor

Well, I believe the Dakota you have has the 2.2L I4.
In any case, the Gen 1 Dakota at some point or another, had the following engines: 2.2L, 2.5L, 3.9L, and 5.2L.
One thing to keep in mind is that I believe your engine is carburated. They quit using the 2.2L carb in 1989 (when it went over to a 2.5L TBFI), and they quit using the carb 3.9L in 1988 (when they went to TBFI in that). All of this information can be found here.

Basically, it will take a little bit of work, swapping in the new engine, the wiring, (and I can't answer your question about what trannys will fit ), but, it can be done, and has been done many times.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:18 AM
87dakota4cyl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: need motor

oddly enough it is fuel injected... but I do see where you're heading with it. My biggest problem right now is finding a motor that'll do the job - while being carb'd. I've been searching, and can't find anything, which is why I was asking what other Chrysler products would go in (the jeep 4L I6, etc). I appreciate the input though, hopefully it'll help!

Gord

Quick Reply: need motor