1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'93 Dakota, want to install 2" body lift, soon!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 02:55 AM
moparfire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 Dakota, want to install 2" body lift, soon!

Hey guys and/or girls, I have had my 1993 since last March. I bought a Performance Accessories body lift and want to install it sooner than later. The directions are as vague as they come. If anyone has installed this lift, do you have any pointers? Any trouble that i may run into? So far I understand that I will have to move or trim the fan shroud, weld the shift linkage extension and take the clips off some wires to allow them to move. I could really use the help, since I rather not install it in my unheated garage in a Minnesota winter. Also, did anyone replace the body bushings at the same time if the were worn? Thanks for any help in advance.

[IMG]local://upfiles/45340/F8FDE6C86C384B2C874149131D5F4410.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-01-2006, 03:40 PM
moparfire
Default RE: '93 Dakota, want to install 2" body lift, soon!

So nobody has ever installed this kit before? That seems to be the case if no one even attempts to reply. The purpose of a forum is to share information and ideas, so i am a little disappointed. At least at jeepforum.com, they reply to your question whether it is common sense to some or just stupid to others. I feel i have a pretty good concern, being I have never installed a body lift before? Some help please, I'm asking nicely!

Old 10-01-2006, 11:12 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Never installed a lift kit. Sorry.
There are a few people wandering around here with modified Gen 1. Dakotas, but, since the newest of these Gen 1 trucks are 11 years old... this section doesn't get a whole lot of traffic.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:30 PM
fishlessman
Professional

i bought my 89 new, and the only thing ive been dissatisfied is how little aftermarket stuff is out there for it.i dont think many have done a lift, so finding your answers may be hard. i lifted mine with the torsion bars up front to level it off the first year i had it, maybe a little over 1.5 inches. the back could be easily lifted with a block under the leafs. some trucks came stock with a body lift, i think mine was 1.5 inches, but dont remember.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:15 PM
moparfire

I read somewhere that a guy put Dodge Ram 2500 springs on the rear, anyone heard of that? Thanks for replying guys, I was losing hope. Have you noticed any wear on the front end with the torsion bars cranked? Did you have an alignment done afterward? How about extended brake lines, does the front get stretched when you raise it? Thanks again

Old 10-02-2006, 07:53 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya know, I believe the torsion bars on mine are cranked. It seems to sit pretty level. If they were cranked, it was done before I bought it. I can't speak for increased wear on the front end (IIRC, they said increased wear is possible, but, I don't specifically remember). I do need some new front-end parts, but, with 98,000 miles, its not suprizing.
I can't speak for the 3/4 ton springs, but I know lots of people have done lots of upgrades to their Dakota, so it wouldn't suprize me. (I'm stock so I can't say anything for experiance ).

Old 10-03-2006, 11:54 AM
fishlessman
Professional

mine is low milage, but the tires wore fine. i did have it aligned after lifting with the torsion bars. i wouldnt go over about 1.5 inches . my first car was a dart and i raised it pretty high, the lower ball joints would wear, but it could have been my driving style at the time.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:54 PM
pembroke dude
Professional

Hi there hows it going?
I have put the 2 inch lift in my 94 dakota and it took two of us about three hrs to install it. just a little tip for ya , remove the bolts on one side of the truck and loosen the other side alot this will keep everything aligned when u install the lift one side at a time.
I cut the fan shroud to make it fit. The only problem i ran into was a break line from the master cyl to the frame was to short and had to be replaced with a longer one. I also replaced one bad mount while i had it apart. Good luck with the lift .

PS mine did not come with bumper brackets i had to make my own.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya the kits are eazy I installed mine a while back. Its worth it. They dont sell the bumber brakets. But easy to modify your stocks ones. you should post some pics pembroke dude

Quick Reply: '93 Dakota, want to install 2" body lift, soon!