1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

I finally have my brakes fixed

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 07:26 PM
89 dakota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I finally have my brakes fixed

Finally! It turns out that the brake system had gotten oil in it somehow. (from the previous owner i'm guessing) And i had to replace the proportioning valve and the other hydaulic valve in the rear. I just ran brake lines from the proportioning vavle to the back rather than getting a new hydraulic valve. So now i don't have anti-lock but it's not the end of the world. I have another small problem thought and i know someone asked about this in another post but i can't seem to find it. My temp gauge in the truck doesn't work. Do i need to replace the thermostat? Also I have a clicking sound is the best way i can describe it, coming from under the hood when i accelerate. I'm assuming it's from one or more of the valves sticking. I'm not sure. I have to replace the valve cover gaskets anyway, my truck smokes a little after i shut it off. I might just try one of those high viscosity treatments and see if that works.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:51 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: I finally have my brakes fixed

Good to hear ya got the brakes fixed!

As for the non-functioning temperature gauge, the sensor that controls the gauge is located to the right (passenger side) of the upper radiator hose on the block. It is a single-wire connector. Its probable that the sensor is bad. Attached is a chart to measure the resistance the sensor should put off at differant coolant temperatures.

If you believe the noise are your valves, try adding some Marvels Mystrey Oil to your oil. Some people have said that solves their noise.

[IMG]local://upfiles/948/C6BB402B35AC4E61A526468100022DAF.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: I finally have my brakes fixed