1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Oil Filter Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 10:33 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil Filter Relocation

Well, I was all excited about installing my oil filter relocation kit (Trans-Dapt p/n# 1113).
But of course, like anything else I want to do, problems!
The damn hoses that came with the kit kink because the way I have to run them (tight turn very close to the base of the filter adapter, to clear the frame and exhaust components), which I didn't figure out before I started working [:@].
So its back to the drawing board. I think I can make it work, however. Notice they use straight fittings on the hoses that come with the kit. I'm thinking that if I get some 90* fittings (and 1/2" oil-rated hose ), it will work fine.

I also wanted to install my pre-lubrication system along with the filter relocation kit, but obviously that was a no-go as well. Tthe kit, by default, takes oil out of the oil pan, sucks it through a pump, and than sends it in the block thru the oil pressure sensor port, but I'm not a big fan of sending unfiltered oil (especially when its gotten from the bottom of the pan [:-]) through the engine, so I was going to rig up some plumbing (pipe and check valves), so that the oil would pass through the filter, which is why the relocation kit was "required" for the pre-lube. However, I see know I may have to install it the regular way.

I'll tell ya why I want to do these two projects (it has something to do with a) having extra money, and b) too much time on my hands [&:]):
Oil filter relocation: I don't exactly like the location of the oil filter on these motors. It's not that the oil filter is hard to get to, its that when replacing it, oil goes all over the place.
Pre-lubrication: They say dry starts cause a lot of wear (some say each dry start is the same as putting 500-miles on your engine). However you slice it, its not good on your motor. And since I start my truck numerous times a day, and usually only travel 2 miles or less per trip, I know my oil is going thru hell, and I know short trips aren't good on the motor either. It's not unusual for my truck to sit in the parking lot over the weekend without my using it.

The other sucky thing that happened was, at the very beginning of the project, I was standing up while walking out from under the lift my truck was on, and I hit my head on the lift. About 5 seconds later, I felt a few drips, thought "I haven't touched oil yet," and discovered it was blood, and that it was coming from my head. Which was weird, because it felt like a normal head-hit.
The good thing: I didn't actually drain the oil out of the pan before discovering I wouldn't be able to do anything today! So that saved my some money.
Anyways, for anyone that cares... I'll look into those 90* fittings and see if I can get this done (with a how-to, of course ), seeing as how I've wanted to get this done since November!

[IMG]local://upfiles/948/9FD29F3034AF477FADC3511A54901842.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/948/BA1A3F8C8F814A27B3F3B072544C8403.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-14-2007, 11:16 PM
AirForceGuy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Filter Relocation

I've been thinking about doing the same thing, especially after removing my oil filter twice in the past two weeks and having oil get everywhere.
Would something like this work along with the hoses that came with the kit?

If so, you can find them at www.swagelok.com. Once there, select "products", then "fittings", then "pipe fittings", then "pipe elbows". They have a few different sizes available. There is a distributor just south of Little Rock AFB: Little Rock Valve & Fitting Co., Inc., 110 Brookswood Road, Sherwood, AR 72120,
501-835-5524.[/align]BTW, Thanks for serving your country![/align]

Old 02-14-2007, 11:26 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Oil Filter Relocation

Thanks for the link. I'll definitly look into the stuff.
The thread to thread fittings would work great so I wouldn't have to actually buy new hoses (thoe hoses provided in the kits are permanently pressed onto the fittings).
And thank you for serving our country!

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Relocation