1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

NGK V-GROOVES FROM NOW ON

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 05:42 PM
YOUGOTIT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NGK V-GROOVES FROM NOW ON

Last Nov I replaced the Champions in my girlfriends 3.9 V6 '96 Dakota with another set of Champions. Didnt notice anydifference but the old plugs were definitely overdue and done for. After reading a lot of posts lately about spark plugs I pulled out the Champions and put NGK V-grooves in last night and noticed the difference right away! It starts on the first bang now whereas with the Champions it took a longer crank to start. This is good, and I hope it translates into better mileage!! Incidentally, the Champions I just pulled out all looked good after three months of hard driving, but I think the NGKs are just better plugs

Old 02-15-2007, 05:46 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: NGK V-GROOVES FROM NOW ON

I'm going to be doing a tune-up in August, I'll make a note and give them a try. Thanks for passing on the info.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:29 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use NGK V-power in my trucks too. you cant beat the price for the performance of them

Old 02-20-2007, 07:28 PM
DukeSupes
Captain

I recently pulled the factory champions and replaced them with autolites Irridium plug or (Xtreme power Part No. XP3924). Before the change it did seem like it took the champions longer tofire up and it seemed like it was missing from time to time. With the new plugs it runs smoother and quieter and these plugs have a lifetime warranty to boot! I havnt noticed any significant difference in gas mileage but I will keep them just because they make the engine run so much smoother.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:54 AM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put bosch +2 in mine the first time and did not really do anything except where down aafter 10000 miles. so i got the NGK's and they have been good for about 2 years now

Old 03-05-2007, 08:20 PM
YOUGOTIT
Default RE: NGK V-GROOVES FROM NOW ON - UPDATE

Well, after the new NGKs went in I have meticulously kept track of the mileage from Sooke to Colwood and back again for a round trip of 59 kilometres....mostly city drivingbut with athree mile stretch where you can get going up to 60 mph before you get back into thestoplites and stop signsand the results are good....consistent 20 mpg instead of the 15 mpg when the girlfriend bought it back in july '06. I dont attribute this to the sparkplugs alone but using Mobil1 synthetic in the crankcase, royal purple syth in the rear end and a K&N air filter have all done their part, too.What I notice mostthough, is the way it starts. First turnover and its off like a champ.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:11 PM
erock92kota
Professional

I will give them a try. I have had some experience with the Bosch platinum2 and the platinum4 and the normal platinums...I really dont like them. They seem to go to crap in a hurry. I have plain old champions in there now. 222,000 miles and still kickin.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:48 AM
SportDak

Might try some of these myself. Any particular plug wires you guys would recommend?

Quick Reply: NGK V-GROOVES FROM NOW ON