1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Coolant Temp Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 06:36 PM
SportDak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Temp Sensor

How in theheck do you get at this thing? Truck is showing code 22 and 51 so figured I'd just go ahead and replace the CTS since it's an inexpensive part before moving on to other possibilities.Am I going to have to move the AC out of the way or something? I hope not. Still working on it. Thanks!!

96 Dodge Dakota Sport
3.9 4WD

Old 03-03-2007, 07:10 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Coolant Temp Sensor

my 88 doesnt have A/C but it was easy to replace. there just threaded in. I cant see the A/C being that much in the way to change it. it will probly make it a PITA to do though

Old 03-03-2007, 07:40 PM
SportDak

It's a PITA alright. Sensor is definitley shot. Absolutley no way I'm going to be able to wrench it on. Trying to see if I can use a hollow socket. Might have to try a warbler.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:48 AM
SportDak

Now my problem is I can't get the new sensor screwed in!! GGGRRRR!!! God I hope I didn't strip the threads while getting the old one out. It was a little bit warmer outside when I tookthe old one out and then ran some errands and grabbed some dinner. Came back to put new one in and no go. Any tricks?

Old 03-04-2007, 06:40 AM
JaYmZ

only ti me i hade a simmuler ishue was when i striped the threding on the intake mainafold for the thermostat in qwer jeep we took it to a mechean shop and hade them drill it whent and got J&B cold weald "not the fake ****" made shuer the mix was right partly filled the hole with j$b treded in the bolt let dry for a few ***** let it get varey stiff wrenched the bote out let the j&b fully cuer and put the bote bake in, but thats a mainafolde not the radeator so not 100% if itll work for you

Old 03-04-2007, 01:29 PM
SportDak

Thanks for the tip. Hoping I don't have to go that route. This thing is so inaccessible on my truck I'd have to take off the AC for sure to do that, I guess if thats what it takes. If I could actually get in there with my fingers I might be able to get it to go. Might try taking off the thermostat to gain better access.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:35 PM
erock92kota
Professional

I would try that before removing the a/c compressor.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:34 AM
SportDak

Well I finally did get the thing in. I did move the A/C compressor and it was no problem.Four bolts and a couple plugs later I was able to move it aside to get betteraccess to the sensor. Ended up buying a small tap from Ace to clean up the threads with. If anyone was wondering the threads on the sensor are 10 x 1. The guy at Ace said the threads were tapered like on some plumbing pipe and mentioned a 1/8 tap would work.The guys at NAPA were really scratching their heads trying to tell me what threads this thing had.

Am I right in assuming there is no polarity on the sensor (resistor). The plug didn't seem to snap into place and I could see where it could go on either way

Quick Reply: Coolant Temp Sensor