1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'95 46RH - DIY or $1.4k Shop Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 06:16 AM
OzarkMark
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '95 46RH - DIY or $1.4k Shop Repair?

I have a 95 DD 4x4 5.2/46RH

It has slowly lost OD over the last 9 months and has started slipping more in R and D. The shift pattern is soft and sometimes freewheels before holding in 2 or 3.

I changed the fluid & filter about 4 months ago. It looked pretty dark and the magnet had quite a bit of clutch residue. Also adjusted both bands at the time. It helped until a month ago but I think it is well on its way to FUBAR.

My local tranny shop wants $1400+ to R&R the unit.

I've seen the Pioneer Super Kits for $210 and Master kits for $260 at my local part store.

So Q 1 - Is this something that a fairly capable person can do themselves. I have rebuilt engines, alternators, starters, carbs and worked on cars for years, but never had to mess with rebuilding a trans.

Q 2 - Would it be worth it to DIY? What about the cost/availability of any special tools required?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:16 AM
tmacdakota
Veteran

You are brave to consider this. If it were mine, I'd find another shop to rebuild it and offer to swap some of my skills in trade for a lower price. Lotsa stuff in a tranny...I wouldn't attempt it unless I had done it before, or unless I had a used, working replacement laying around. Just my .02 cents.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:38 AM
woodbutcher5691
Professional

My rebuilder told me the O/D unit has an 800 lb. spring in it and has to be R/R with a press. That alone made me GLADLY give him the $300 to rebuild the whole tranny (I pulled it out myself and took it to him). I'd check around some other shops for a lower price.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:33 PM
OzarkMark

The problem is that I live in Smalltown, USA, where all the shops have the same price. I even went so far as to call shops up to 90 miles away in bigger cities with AAMCO and Cottman who wanted $1600-1800 for the same job. I would trade for partial labor, but I am moderately disabled so as far as a help, it wouldn't be feasible. I could take as much time as needed to DIY.

I have been reading the 46RH/A518 (228727) Service Manual pdf and the things that bother me the most seem to be the special tools for some operations. Then there was the warning about the checkball in the VB that must be free otherwise it will cause catastrophic failure. I dunno. I was looking underneath and its gonna be a B*tch to R&R with the exhaust manifolds never being touched as I am sure everything is rusted and will either need heat or will break off with maximum torque.

Also, I saw a 96 46RH for sale for $550 that someone bought for their '99 2G and was told they bought the wrong one. I am thinking that it might an alternative. I am just notthrilled about buying someone elses problems.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:02 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no '96 46rh... it was the 46re and won't work in your '95. The difference is it has an electronic governor valve instead of hydraulic, and your computer won't have any control over it. You need to be looking specifically for a '95 or older 46rh.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:35 PM
issakar
Captain

Honestly, Here is my $0.02 worth.

I know sooner or later the transmission is gonna go in the truck. I'm hoping later but its a 96 with 165k on it. things happen. When it goes, I have every intention of rebuilding it myself. here is my logic behind it. Sure I could take it in and get it done for about the same $1,400 price tag.....but what do I learn from that? I learn how to pay someone else to fix my problems. The way I see it, even if i spent $1,400 doing it myself, I would rather it be that way. Because then I am learning how something works and how to fix it. Since it sounds like time isn't a major issue, why not just take it down and do it yourself; just take your time doing it to make sure everything is right. Another thing you could do is see if one of those shops would give it a look over once you are done and make sure it's right. I read on the s10 forums about a guy who was learning how to do transmissions taking his out, rebuilding it, then paying the shop 200 or 300 to look it over and make sure it was all legit.

Just my thoughts on it. I think if you have the time it could work out being worth doing yourself.

Let us know what you decide!
Good Luck!

Old 10-08-2010, 11:40 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My brother is going onto his 4th 46RH in his Dakota now, been rebuilt twice and both times the shops did a terrible job, both times it failed just outside of their warranty. That's one more reason to do it yourself.

As for that 800 lb spring, take it to a shop and have them do that part, I would attempt the rest.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:17 PM
OzarkMark

There is no '96 46rh...
Yeah, it was a 46RE when I called and asked him if it had a 3 prong plug or 8 pin round plug. I was hoping it was a misprint since the price included the transfer case too.

Since it sounds like time isn't a major issue, why not just take it down and do it yourself; just take your time doing it to make sure everything is right.
I am leaning towards DIY. I re-read the ATSG service manual again today. It would barely move tonight, so something will need done soon. Even if I could find a used core to build, but most want an arm & leg.

I just wish I was in a little better shape cuz my knees are bone on bone so it is difficult for me to crawl under the truck or maybe get another pair of hands to help R&R. My wife is saying 'Just pay' and lets quit waffling back & forth. Easy to say when its not her $1400.

Anyhow.. Thanks for all of your input.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:15 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by OzarkMark
Yeah, it was a 46RE when I called and asked him if it had a 3 prong plug or 8 pin round plug. I was hoping it was a misprint since the price included the transfer case too.

I am leaning towards DIY. I re-read the ATSG service manual again today. It would barely move tonight, so something will need done soon. Even if I could find a used core to build, but most want an arm & leg.

I just wish I was in a little better shape cuz my knees are bone on bone so it is difficult for me to crawl under the truck or maybe get another pair of hands to help R&R. My wife is saying 'Just pay' and lets quit waffling back & forth. Easy to say when its not her $1400.

Anyhow.. Thanks for all of your input.

I agree it would be nice to get ahold of a core and build it up from there but exactly as you are saying, the cores you can find are pricey.

All in all, I think DIY is not a bad idea. I get that ur wife is doing the "just pay" dance and I agree that it's easier for her to say that when it's not her 14 billz.

I am fairly confident that even if you had to buy special tools, you could probably complete the work for less than the shop wants.

Keep us informed!

Old 10-10-2010, 10:12 PM
csam
Amateur

After you get yers done, I will bring you mine to practice on!

Quick Reply: '95 46RH - DIY or $1.4k Shop Repair?