1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

91 dak 4x4 318 add-a-leaf install

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 05:21 PM
jake122288
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 dak 4x4 318 add-a-leaf install

I ordered a rough country add-a-leaf kit for my dakota today. Im pretty sure of the install as it seems to be pretty straight forward.

But my question is does anyone know what size u-bolts i will need. Can i use the stock size still? If so what are the stock dimensions.

Or will i need longer ones?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It depends on how thick the new leaf is and how much threads you have on your bolt. Most likely the AAL is around 1/4in. Now measure how much more thread you got on your U-Bolts and see if you can fit a 1/4in.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:40 PM
jake122288
Professional

okay thanks, im still going to purchase new U-bolts as well tho. Which is my biggest reason i am concerned about the dimensions.

The parts store here says their computer doesnt tell them "vehicle specific dimension of U-bolts"

I guess i havent looked yet, but is there enough room to accurately measure them under the truck? Should i be more concerned aboput inside dimensions, or outside dimensions?

Old 02-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Sauxon
Professional

I got the same AAL and used my existing u bolts so stock size will be fine. I have been meaning to replace mine but havent gotten around too it. I know the stores around here just have a selection to choose from but again don't say what size you need. Best to measure or take one in to compare

Old 02-25-2012, 08:29 PM
jake122288
Professional

Originally Posted by Sauxon
I got the same AAL and used my existing u bolts so stock size will be fine. I have been meaning to replace mine but havent gotten around too it. I know the stores around here just have a selection to choose from but again don't say what size you need. Best to measure or take one in to compare
well taking one to compare will be hard only having my truck available to drive and my garage with the lift and tools is 20 miles from the nearest parts store. Im just gonna have to crawl under and see if i can get the mud kicked off and do some hopefully accurate measuring

Old 02-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Sauxon
Professional

Well good luck. I have some pictures from my install if you get stuck and need reference

Old 02-25-2012, 10:27 PM
jake122288
Professional

Originally Posted by Sauxon
Well good luck. I have some pictures from my install if you get stuck and need reference
Are they posted here? if not could you post a few on this thread, just so if needed i can find them, maybe even look at them and see it before i try to tackle this job. From my understanding its pretty straight forward, you drop the axle down, use a c-clamp to hold the spring pressure, un-do the center pin, and add the add-a-leaf in beneath it unless its longer than the bottom in the pack, then you put it the next to bottom in the pack and then of course do this all backwards to finish up.

But i do have a question about the c-clamp method of keeping pressure on the springs, if i do that wont it interfere with the installation of the new add-a-leaf?

Old 02-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jake122288
But i do have a question about the c-clamp method of keeping pressure on the springs, if i do that wont it interfere with the installation of the new add-a-leaf?
Here I added in red what else you have to do to answer that question.

Originally Posted by jake122288
From my understanding its pretty straight forward, Un-Bolt the U-Bolts you drop the axle down, use a c-clamp to hold the spring pressure, un-do the center pin, Loosen the C-Clamp to loosen the spring tension and remove the C-Clamp once it is all looseand add the add-a-leaf in beneath it unless its longer than the bottom in the pack, then you put it the next to bottom in the pack and then of course do this all backwards to finish up. Use the C-Clamp to close up the gaps in the leaf springs then install the center pin

Old 02-26-2012, 01:50 AM
Sauxon
Professional

It is very basic. Unbolt the shocks and u bolts and drop the axle a few inches. I kept the jack under mine so that I did not have to disconnect any brake lines
The c clamps are only to keep the springs from flying apart. Once the bolt is removed the c clamps can be taken off. Since most of the springs are long only one will come off. You want the AAL to be just above the bottom one. They should be in order smallest to largest in length.
The center pin was a pain for me. the nut on top was completely shot so after snapping it off I had to use a punch to get the bolt out. It had snapped off flush with the top of the springs. Once it is out you can take the clamps off, put in the new leaf and bolt them back together. Nut on top then cut off the excess bolt.
There are think pieces of plastic in between the stock springs, do not throw these out.

Name:  P1010364.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  100.8 KB
My c-clamp set up before removing the center pin

Name:  P1010365.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  152.3 KB
The dreaded center pin.

Name:  P1010375.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  100.2 KB
The completed install

Old 02-26-2012, 02:46 AM
crazyjerry
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where you finding the add a leafs for dakotas ? i searched a few suspension sites but only seen 1500 trucks listed

Quick Reply: 91 dak 4x4 318 add-a-leaf install