1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

new D (used) rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:29 AM
tbasse01
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new D (used) rattle

got my new D and after about 1500 kilometres I get this rattle/squeak more of a rattle noise coming from driver front wheel on bumps on the road(but not all bumps)

I can replicate the *rattle* on the same bumps, but here is the weird thing if i touch the brakes very,very lightly i get not rattle at all on the bumps

thought I would ask here first since the dealer wanted $200 just to look at never mind fix it

could it just be the pads rattling around on bumps? my buddies ram 1500 has a similar sound on bumps but they have to be larger to create the noise

anyone else experience this, mind you if the window is up you do not hear a thing

thanks in adavance troy

2002 Black Durango SXT
4.7 L tow package
34000 miles

Old 05-09-2007, 01:48 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
Default RE: new D (used) rattle

Have you had the brake done after you brought the truck?? Or was it there before?? Could be loose brake pads or Ball Joints ( upper ) Or the sway bar bushings. If you have a way of cking TSB's you may find something.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:58 AM
tbasse01
Rookie

new brakes were put on at the dealer, and the ball joints were replaced shortly after the recall

no the noise was not there before it just showed up the other day

all the ball joints and tie rods look new, I dont know were to start?

Old 05-09-2007, 01:59 AM
tbasse01
Rookie

and the sway bar bushing look good also

Old 05-09-2007, 02:38 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Ck the center caps on the tires. Maybe loose and ck the lug nuts on the tires too.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:41 AM
tbasse01
Rookie

center caps? are you taking about the plastic pop in things that get stolen all the time? or is there a bolt underneath that cap?

I will check the lugs for sure!

Old 05-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull off the tire on that wheel I guarantee you that the spring clip that holds the brake calipers tight has fallen off. This happened to me twice on the passenger side after having the brakes changed. When you put it back make sure to bend it a little more or buy a new one but the bend will be fine. Tap it in with a light hammer (I used a little 2 ouncer) or a rubber mallet. It will take you all of 15 minutes tops and no more rattle.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:55 PM
tbasse01
Rookie

mean green

I went home the other morning and whipped the tire off, it looks like the inside pad is making the noise (I grab it and it rattles in place) sounds just like the noise when driving

this spring clip does it go around the caliper and both pads kinda pops on?, or is it the type that is on the back of the pad. *note the outside pad had the clip that that was through the caliper that looked ok

I did not see any other clip that went over the caliper (I had a similar clip on my other car) maybe that is whats is missing. I will have to pop off the passenger side to compare what is there and not there since it is not rattling

if I cant get a clip how about some rtv silicone on the back of the inside pad plate to hold it to the caliper?

Old 05-10-2007, 06:27 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't use any silicon but as you said take a look at the passenger side. After brake jobs these spring clips can become loose. I actually went back to the Midas that installed my pads and their tech said that he has had that happen on D's before. I would just say pull the spring clip and give it a little more bend with some pliers. I did that after it fell off a second time and it's been fine ever since.

Quick Reply: new D (used) rattle