1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

front differential

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:28 AM
fjd0413
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front differential

Where is the fill cap tor the front differential on a 1999 durango? can it be refilled with the skid plates on?

Old 06-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: front differential

When I had my fluid changed on the front differential, the mechanic say it wasn't easy, had to use a pump and the skid plates had to be removed.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:27 AM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is like my 01, the rubber fill plug is on the front of the cover just to the passenger side. As stated above, I recommend using a pump to empty and refill the pumpkin as the cover is no less than a POS to remove and install.

I cannot comment on the skid plates as my D does not sport them.

As an FYI, I have run both Mobil 1 and now the Royal Purple and I was able to get the RP locally at an RV dealer for less than $9 a quart.

Good luck Don

Old 06-08-2007, 12:45 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PITA. You'll definitely have to ull the skid plate to get it off then after draining the fluid you'll have to get the cover back on while avoiding everything that is in the way so you don't scrape your RTV off of the edge. After you get it on then you'll run ito the problem that you can't get the whole bottle of fluid into the diff. I know that they have some hand pump??? that you can use to get all the fluid in there easier but everything else isn't gonna be as easy. I prefer pulling the cover rather than sucking it out with a pump because then you can check the gears for abnormal wear and address any issues that may arise...

Quick Reply: front differential