1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Viper Fan upgrade....worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Durango 360,

If you go with a commerical built temp controller, make sure you get one that supports DUAL speeds. NOT dual fans. BIG difference. If you use a temp controller that supports dual fans and connect this controller to your dual speed Mark fan, it will burn out either the fan or controller or both. Dual speed controller will use either the high or low speed connections. Dual fan controllers will use either one or both fans at the same time.

Dual speed temp controllers are the way to go to control the Mark fans with dual speeds. You can use the low speed when your temp reaches near operating temperatures. When the temperature rises beyond the set point of your thermostat and/or you use A/C, it can jump to high speed mode.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:02 AM
harveye72
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango efan conversion

Yeah, my controller is for a one speed fan so my Mark VIII is only hooked up to run high speed whenever it comes on. I am fine with this, but make sure if you want to run both speeds, you do get a controler made for a 2 speed fan. I already have another controller (same one I already used) and Mark VIII fan, so I am gonna stick with this setup if it keeps working well. If this setup stops working well, I will go to a 2 fan and 2 fan controller setup. Better to have and not need, then need and not have the extra cooling. But, I was going for cost vs performance and aftermarket fans are expensive campared to used Mark VIII fans. I fully intend on tweeking the crap out of my Dakota R/T, so when I mod the engine I may put a dual fan in later, but right now its my daily driver and both stock efans on both my trucks went out at the same time, so I needed a quick and cheaper fix for now. Instead of replacing them with the stock fan I decided to chuck the stock efan and clutch fan to get some more performance out of my engines. So far I made the right decision and I'm happy. Next year my wife gets a new car and I will make the Durango my daily driver and my R/T will become the toy to tweek until it goes fast and gets like 2 miles per gallon. LOL.

Anyway, again, thanks to all who take the time to wright on here, the info helps people make informed decisions on what direction to go with their mods.

G O R A Y S ! ! !

Old 10-23-2008, 07:35 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

along with technical info
it is always good to
stop and calculate
how much money one can afford to spend for a mod
to get a 1 MPG increase in fuel economy
if you are going to get your money back with interest
in less than ... say ... 4 years

Old 10-23-2008, 09:51 AM
harveye72
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango efan conversion

Quick obervation :

Chucking the clutch fan has a side effect for drivers like me. I can't stay off the gas pedal. Any gas savings are out the window because of my driving. LOL.

I really didn't do this for gas milage as much as performance anyway. My durango now feels better than my Dakota R/T since it still has the clutch fan.
Imagine that,..... I keep wanting to drive my Durango instead of my R/T ? ? ? ? ? ! ! ! !

Looks like I'll be converting my R/T either this weekend or next weekend. I will take pictures of the conversion when I do the R/T.

P.s. Its nice to know I have two trucks that I can actually work on (and enjoy it) with the economy the way it is.

Later,

GO RAYS ! ! ! ! ! !

Last edited by harveye72; 10-24-2008 at 09:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Viper Fan upgrade....worth it?