1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

TRANSFER CASE HELLLLLLPPPPPP

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 08:56 PM
durangoguy16
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRANSFER CASE HELLLLLLPPPPPP

I have a 98 durango 4X4 with a 5.9l....I live in NC and i was driving to Florida.. I got all the way to Kissisime FL and i heard a light clunk.. and then a min or 2 later ias i gave it gas it felt liek it poped out of gear. I pulled over and made sure it was in gear nd it was... gave it gs and nothing.. the rpms went up like it ws in neutral.. i tried 1..2.. and reverse.. NOTHING.... i listened and heard like a grind midline on the durango.. right where the transfer case is. I shifted it to neutral and then shifted it to 4wheel hi and then put it in drive nd it engaged so i was goign to drive it to the next exit.. i pulled away and all was fine then i let off the gas a little and then it acted liek it poped out of gear again... So i pulled over again and i had my frined step on the break and put it in drive like i did befor when it wouldnt engage.. i crawled under and put my hand on the transfer case.. and yes the rattle and grind was from the transfer case.. i needed to go another 30 miles to get to my destination so i put it back in 2 wheel and started to drive it.. as long as when i slowed down i didnt let off the gas(meaning not letting slack in the motor or transfer case) i made it the rest of the way with out it popping out again.... MY QUESTION is how the heck do i get it all the way home to NC? what are my options? do i have to have the transfer case replaced(prolly like 1000 bucks or more) or can gears just be changed? prolly close to the same.. if i had it in NC at my shop i could do the work myself but as luck has it..... im in FL..

Old 06-17-2007, 04:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: TRANSFER CASE HELLLLLLPPPPPP

If the gears are good you can just replace the chain. I am wondering if the chain is in ok shape and you just lost a bearing. This sounds more resonable. I think you are going to have to take it to a shop, perferably a 4X4 shop and have it rebuilt. The last thing you should do is try to get it home unless you can lift it on a trailer and tow it home. You will have to have all four wheels off the ground. You don't want to ruin your case because they are sooo expensive. Regardless of which, get the whole thing rebuilt unless the gears are good.

Quick Reply: TRANSFER CASE HELLLLLLPPPPPP