1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Couple of Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Kinjirra
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of Questions

Frist time poster and wanted to ask a few questions about the 98 Durango. i've been looking into buying a 98 Durango here lately due to the owner wanting to sell it super cheap ($500).

Question one: The big one....Apperently the Transmission is abit...weird....All I know is that it has problems. Now I've been told that if you dont service it the filter will get clogged fairly badly on these and cause tranny issues...that can be fixed by a good fluid flush and filter change. Any thoughts?
Question Two: Engine ran fine apperently but now wont turn over even when trying to jump it. Just acts like its dead. Do these vechicals have issues with starters that die suddenly. Or could it be something more severe such as a computer issue or.....

My problem is that I dont want another total lemon...I already own a Chevy like that lol. Do you think 500 bucks is worth the risk for what could be possibly a very good durango?

Old 07-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Kinjirra
Default RE: Couple of Questions

Oh and wanted to add that I have know this person that is selling for awhile now and I doubt they would screw me over on purpose. Of Course she has no idea about cars except that you put gas in them and they go.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all, your friend pretty much told you what you need to know, that she just puts gas and drive. How many miles are on this Durango now? Is she the original owner? If not, how many miles was on this durango when she bought it? Knowing this will give you an idea how many miles of neglect was driven on this D? At this point, if you can get the engine to start, I would definitely have maintenance items replaced! IE: oil, trans fluid change, radiator flush, full tuneups, etc...

I would say if the physical condition of the Durango inside out is still in great shape, it is still a good deal. the parts alone is worth more than that.

All trannies will have problems if you do not properly service and maintain it.

Engine won't turn even when jumping? lots of possibilities. First thing to try first is a new battery. old battery may be completely shot preventing even jumping from providing enough juice to turn the engine. Check the oil dipstick to make sure the oil looks good and does not show it has antifreeze in it, if so, engine may need serious work.

Other than that, if you can bring a good mechanic that is familar with dodge, to inspect it for ya and get their opinion.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:55 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll buy it where it sits. Just let me know. That way if your friend really wants to move it, you have helped them out either way. I'm serious, just let me know.

If the trans is out, it's $2500+ to get it fixed. If the motor is out, it's double that again and could be a total money pit.

IndyDurango

Old 07-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Kinjirra

Small update...went and looked at the Durango yesterday. Body is in really good condition. 138k miles. Engine has been serviced regular from what I was told its the 5.2L. Tranny Fluid is clean and smells fresh but its been sitting awhile too.. Inside is DIRTY LOL(think dried mud hole)...the outside is cleaner. Battery is completely shot dead. Tried to jump it and got all the power things to work. Soon as the key turned over...all the power drained in an instant and had to reset the cables to get everything to come back on. So thats a dud. Tires are shot dead...and looks like the rear axle has a oil leak as the diff is covered in oil around the plug and lower half.(EDIT: after reading that...would no gear oil cause the trans to feel weird...It looks like a bad leak so Im wondering if just a fresh gasket and fresh oil in back would help...as long as the gears arnt eaten up)

From talking with the woman who owns it the tranny still works but to her it felt weird. It might need a nice flush or some type of adjustment. I know the Durango was used to Haul Horses and she did run it rough. so it may need a rebuild. Good thing I have a friend who can do that stuff if its needed.

Looks like im gonna buy it...First Dodge I've ever owned...been a Chevy guy for years. Hey as long as its American right.

Quick Reply: Couple of Questions