1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Possible radiator fan problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Lurker14ownz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible radiator fan problem?

Well long story short.. I was at the movies with my wife and when we left the theater I got to my 2000 Durango SLT 5.9L and it wouldn't start.. So i look around and dome lights on (alittle dim) and my doors unlocks with keyless fine. I step out of it and hear this fan going.. I open the hood and the small electric fan behind the large radiator fan was still going (assuming whole time) and drained the battery. Got it jumped and went on but now the fan will not turn off with the engine anymore. I have to pull the Radiator Fan Fuse from engine box to turn it off (has to be unplugged a few minutes or it will come right back on) I am assuming this fan is activated by temp because it doesn't always come on but once it does there is no going off.. Anyone have any ideas? I am thinking maybe a temp sensor but not sure where it is located on my D. The shops want atleast a $100 to look at it when hopefully i'm thinking its a $25 part. Any ideas be much much appreciated. Guess my long story was actually long

Old 08-06-2007, 11:01 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Default RE: Possible radiator fan problem?

could be a relay. It as comes on when you use the a/c too.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:54 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

switch the relay out with another one and see if it goes out. If it does, replace the relay. Try that first.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:02 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From experience, mine was a relay so +3 on checking that first. As said, swap with any of the others. All should be fine afterawards if that was it.

IndyDurango

Old 08-08-2007, 06:53 AM
Lurker14ownz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info on being a relay! Kinda relived since I know those are cheap and spent alot repairing this already. (My transmission went out about 6 months ago) Where is the relay exactly for the small fan behind the radiator fan? Really not used to the engine electronics yet, I usually stick to working on muscle cars.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I remember correctly it is in the PDC box under the hood. Pull the cover and on the other side of it it will tell you which relay/fuse is for your fan.

Quick Reply: Possible radiator fan problem?