1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

REpalced everything, still not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 02:55 PM
VydorScope
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REpalced everything, still not working

Truck overheated today sitting in a drive through, here is hwat I have done so far..

REPLACED:
Water pump
Upper hose (it busted)
Fan relay
T-stat
Temp Switch
fan clutch (I know this is working now, cause I lost my get up and go )

The Aux fan will SOMETIMES come on, and when it does, it works. Right now I have a wire run from the relay to the ground on the battery and the aux fan stays on when the truck is on. Check engin light is on with code 1491 (fan relay), and that is true with or with out my jumper.

What could be left to replace???

Those of you that put the E-Fan on, I would love to get my getup and go back... what fan did you use again?

Old 08-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: REpalced everything, still not working

Radiator seems to be the last thing on your list that was not replaced.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:39 PM
VydorScope
Rookie

How could that cause the issue, and how much are they roughly?

Old 08-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you replaced everything else and still have overheating issues, it is your radiator then. Could be clogged up. I am in process of getting my radiator replaced not because it was overheating but because I am getting my tranny replaced. Dodge OEM radiator, the transmission cooler is internal of the radiator. I think the radiator was $3xx something bucks. Not cheap. But this is the highest end max cooling radiator as my R/T has the tow package.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Chris_Gorham
Professional

try power washing the A/C condensor (thats the radiator at the front of the vehicle) - if thats plugged with insects and other assorted sh*t then insufficient air is drawn through to cool the engine radiator behind.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:25 PM
bigbaddurango
Professional

ORIGINAL: Chris_Gorham

try power washing the A/C condensor (thats the radiator at the front of the vehicle) - if thats plugged with insects and other assorted sh*t then insufficient air is drawn through to cool the engine radiator behind.

If you do this i wouldnt pressure wash it you can flaten the fins very easy and you will have too replace garden hose is best I would double check the electiric fan maybe wire it derect to the bat and dive it too see if it over heats it may be a loose wire that is cutting out the radiator is unlikely on a 200 to be plug and if it is you can have them flushed pretty cheap

Old 08-25-2007, 06:31 PM
VydorScope
Rookie

I have the fan wired directly now, its the only way the truck is usable. The Axu fan is on when ever the ignition is on.

Maybe I should have it flushed, just to be sure. Its got 170k or so miles on it and its never been done.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:33 PM
VydorScope
Rookie

The thing is... why would that make the check fan rely light come on? This is what I see hapen when sitting parked...

I rev it, it gets hotter and hotter, and then I feel the fan clutch DISENGAGE and the Aux Fan come on (some times), and then the temp starts dropping. Some times the Aux fan does NOT come on, and some times it comes on and shuts off right away. When I connect a ground to the relay, the fan stays on when ever the truck is on so I know the fan works.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:48 PM
bigbaddurango
Professional

Ya i have 165,000 on mine 5.9 360 its smokes if you really get on it and its cold but other then that i would drive it anywhere i hit a deer took radiator ont and it didnt look bad but could have been done before i got it if you are going to flush it get some preston flush to loosen up the crap in the motor and stuff so it dont get in you clean radiator while you have it out a good idea is to take the garden hose hook it up too the heater core and flushed it both ways because mine wasnt geting hot it worked great alot of crap came out

Old 08-25-2007, 07:55 PM
VydorScope
Rookie

So flushing is somthing I can do my self? Never attempted anything like that, how? and how doi I dispose of the antifreeze? Is it as simple as disconnect the return hose and let it drain or what?

Quick Reply: REpalced everything, still not working